Author Topic: Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs  (Read 333623 times)

nathan

Re: Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs
« Reply #946 on: October 27, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »
the green wood tree

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #947 on: October 27, 2017, 07:44:44 PM »
I have to be perfectly honest and say that even though the pub looks very familiar I have never heard of the Greenwood tree. The reason for the familiarity is probably because in my opinion most of the pubs built in the 60's & 70's were built from the same drawing. As the breweries probably knew what was coming and wanted pubs that could easily be converted for other uses.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #948 on: October 27, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »
have to agree with you phil about the designs of the 60s and 70s pubs...boring with no soul...just my opinion of course..

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #949 on: October 27, 2017, 08:56:08 PM »

the green wood tree

Nathan if I'd got to guess this one without a clue , I'd have guessed The Joker on Hamstead Rd , its a Tesco Express now alas
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

maltablue

« Reply #950 on: October 28, 2017, 09:33:08 AM »
Remember The Greenwood Tree well. Also the Longbow ( M& B ) and the Primrose ( Ansells ) all  within the same area.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #951 on: October 29, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »
We often lament the loss of a pub but Bathams Brewery opened a new one in Hagley, last month. Like most of the other Bathams pubs, the King Arthur is a traditional one serving Bathams Mild and Bitter with pies, cobs and snacks available.

Unfortunately, I haven't visited it yet, I believe it is a bit modern inside (unusual for a Bathams pub) but the beer is good.
Well, I'm just off to see my mates in one of Bathams other pubs, the Swan at Chaddesley Corbett.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

countrylad

« Reply #952 on: November 07, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »
Remember The Greenwood Tree well. Also the Longbow ( M& B ) and the Primrose ( Ansells ) all  within the same area.
Where was the Longbow? Was it by any chance up Hillmeads at the top of Poolfarm estate, near Greaves Hall and the tower block Cavendish tower/House. I know there is/was a pub there at one time. Can't think of the name of it.

maltablue

« Reply #953 on: November 08, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »
Yes exactly. Stan and Josie ran it in the mid seventies. Used it regular.remember 1976 when he ran out of lager.Just survived on cans.

Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

countrylad

« Reply #954 on: November 08, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »
Yes exactly. Stan and Josie ran it in the mid seventies. Used it regular.remember 1976 when he ran out of lager.Just survived on cans.

My brother lived in the maisonettes by the pub from about 76. Some one had a goat in their garden. Was Josie an Irish gal? There was hell of a fight in there one night. One lad went through the wired glass door (without opening it first). Was there also an Irish Barmaid called Patsy at the time and also worked in the shop near the pub. Patsy had about four kids.

I didn't spend a lot of time up there but had a few pints with 'our kid' from time to time and chatted to a few folks   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #955 on: November 08, 2017, 03:30:22 PM »
The Longbow, another pub I never used.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

countrylad

« Reply #956 on: November 08, 2017, 05:34:19 PM »
The Longbow, another pub I never used.

Thats the place Phil, looks a lot cleaner than I remember it. Had an 'Offi' as well, which I didn't recall.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy