Author Topic: Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs  (Read 333645 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs
« Reply #957 on: November 08, 2017, 06:08:33 PM »

Thats the place Phil, looks a lot cleaner than I remember it. Had an 'Offi' as well, which I didn't recall.  O0

I think a lot of pubs around that time had off sales, but they quickly were swallowed up by the pub itself as outdoors became less popular. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

maltablue

« Reply #958 on: November 09, 2017, 10:51:52 AM »
Countrylad. No Josie was a plump English woman, her husband was also English. Do not recall that barmaid, but there was a Christine who worked there for a long time ( she had four kids ).
 I did not live in the area but had a friend who lived in the maisonettes next door to the pub. Shaun Kelly his wife was Layla, they had a son called Marc.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

countrylad

« Reply #959 on: November 09, 2017, 12:13:52 PM »
Countrylad. No Josie was a plump English woman, her husband was also English. Do not recall that barmaid, but there was a Christine who worked there for a long time ( she had four kids ).
 I did not live in the area but had a friend who lived in the maisonettes next door to the pub. Shaun Kelly his wife was Layla, they had a son called Marc.
maltablue, thanks for getting back. Next time I see my brother ( I think we are due for our 5 yearly meet!) I will ask him if he remembers Shaun and Layla.

maltablue

« Reply #960 on: November 09, 2017, 01:49:58 PM »
your welcome. Thinking back, i think there was an Irish Landlord at the Primrose, which was just down the road.I could imagine a fight in there. It was Ansell's beer.  :D
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

countrylad

« Reply #961 on: November 09, 2017, 02:22:45 PM »
your welcome. Thinking back, i think there was an Irish Landlord at the Primrose, which was just down the road.I could imagine a fight in there. It was Ansell's beer.  :D
;D ;D

davidc

« Reply #962 on: January 07, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »
I remember Ansells for its supreme tastelessness ;D only surpassed by M&B :D
Power corrupts

nathan

« Reply #963 on: January 08, 2018, 03:14:13 PM »
dave c
are you a beer snob or larger lout   O0 O0 O0 O0

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #964 on: January 08, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »
Unfortunately, the Bell and Cross, Clent has closed, temporarily we hope. Reputed to be one of only half a dozen pubs in the Birmingham area to continue to serve M&B Mild on the hand pump through the 60s and 70s when the trend was for keg bitters such as Watneys, Double Diamond and Worthington.

In the last few years, it has gained a reputation as an excellent restaurant but at the expense of the drinkers who deserted because they were not willing to pay extra prices.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #965 on: January 08, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »
Ian,

You obviouslly never drank in the Talbot on Highgate Road in Sparkbrook they served M&B mild & bitter drawn by hand pumps right up until they closed for demolition in the late 70's. All the lads swore it was the best pint for miles and as it was one of the few pubs in the area that could be guaranteed a good crowd 7 nights a week they must have been right. I can't comment myself as I've never been a beer drinker.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #966 on: January 08, 2018, 06:18:19 PM »
The place we owned was still serving M&B mild in 1989 after we had sold the place.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #967 on: January 08, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »
Was it on the hand pump, Fred?

I'm afraid that when I was a young lad, I was not very 'choosy' regarding my beers so I would quite happily drink any keg available. It was not until the late 70s that I was made aware of the superior quality of cask beers. That said, I had a couple of nice pints of Ansells mild in the 'Coach' at Weatheroak the other day and was surprised to be told that it was pumped up by gas. Well, if it's good enough for the Guinness drinkers!!!     ;D
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy