Author Topic: Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs  (Read 333721 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs
« Reply #990 on: May 12, 2018, 07:08:46 PM »
badger  sett halesowen

Hi Nathan,

Is this the one on the Causeway just before Hagley Hill and the Monument, I think I have been in there, but it was a long time ago.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #991 on: May 14, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »
Previously known as the Gypsy's Tent.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

nathan

« Reply #992 on: May 23, 2018, 05:30:09 PM »
coventry

kingshaney

« Reply #993 on: July 17, 2018, 12:03:05 AM »
Had some good time in the shanghai (the barge and bridge b4 that the westwood hotel ) shame they knocked it down it was a lovely place a little run down but the people were friendly and the m& b beer was on tap

kingshaney

« Reply #994 on: July 17, 2018, 12:05:41 AM »
barge and bridge atherstone

Had some good time in the shanghai (the barge and bridge b4 that the westwood hotel ) shame they knocked it down it was a lovely place a little run down but the people were friendly and the m& b beer was on tap

Scipio

« Reply #995 on: July 17, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »

Phil did you ever frequent The Greyhound on Holloway Head in the 60's ? . I used to call in for a drink , and as our head office was up the road, if I was around at dinner time, the gaffer John Pope's missus did great sandwiches . Salmon, corned beef and tomato to name but two , if you fancied a decent crab sandwich get  yourself up Gough St to The Gough Arms , Ron Kenyon's mother did a wicked crab sandwich , I asked her to get me some crab meat £1.10s for tub of white meat and a tub of brown meat , it went down a treat . I'm lead to believe John's Father was one of the last to brew his own cider , a pit of rough was like vegetable soup minus the veg cloudy as anything
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #996 on: July 17, 2018, 11:51:59 PM »
Scipio

I have mentioned the Greyhound many times on this forum, a place where the rich, poor, famous, down and outs in fact all walks of life mixed happily together and drank that mysterious potent brew that went by the name of scrumpy. When I last drank in there the price had risen to 10d a pint causing mutterings of rebellion among the clientele that the gaffer had got to pay for the new sandwich toasting machine somehow.

Around the time that I had the occasional drink in the Gough Arms one miserable rainy afternoon whilst warming ourselves by the open fire, when we were asked to leave because I actually kissed my girlfriend of that time in the pub, there was only me my mate and our two girls in the whole pub at the time. I wonder how they would get on today with the goings on in pubs now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #997 on: July 18, 2018, 09:33:56 AM »
Scipio

I have mentioned the Greyhound many times on this forum, a place where the rich, poor, famous, down and outs in fact all walks of life mixed happily together and drank that mysterious potent brew that went by the name of scrumpy. When I last drank in there the price had risen to 10d a pint causing mutterings of rebellion among that the gaffer had got to pay for the new sandwich toasting machine somehow.

Around the time that I had the occasional drink in the Gough Arms one miserable rainy afternoon whilst warming ourselves by the open fire, when we were asked to leave because I actually kissed my girlfriend of that time in the pub, there was only me my mate and our two girls in the whole pub at the time. I wonder how they would get on today with the goings on in pubs now.

Phil patronage of The Gough Arms soon changed for the better late 60's , when the post office sorting office moved into the new place at the bottom of Severn St , many a night after finishing work across the road , I called into the bar and was thoroughly entertained by the PO drivers who had finished their shifts , Ron's Mother Gladys  was a lovely woman , there was a barmaid called Gladys(late 50's) who was a right sergeant major . I stopped using the pub for a time trying to save some money to get married , and bumped into the barmaid on Smallbrook Ringway she gave me a right rocket for not going in there . Left me feeling quite guilty I don't know why
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #998 on: July 22, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »
Scipio

I have mentioned the Greyhound many times on this forum, a place where the rich, poor, famous, down and outs in fact all walks of life mixed happily together and drank that mysterious potent brew that went by the name of scrumpy. When I last drank in there the price had risen to 10d a pint causing mutterings of rebellion among the clientele that the gaffer had got to pay for the new sandwich toasting machine somehow.

The Greyhound, was this also know as the Cider House. I wasn't much of a town pub person but I'm sure I went in there once in 1976. I seem to remember it looked a bit like a modern 60's pub? There also seemed to be a load of construction work going on around it at the time.
countrylad

Scipio

« Reply #999 on: July 22, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »
The Greyhound, was this also know as the Cider House. I wasn't much of a town pub person but I'm sure I went in there once in 1976. I seem to remember it looked a bit like a modern 60's pub? There also seemed to be a load of construction work going on around it at the time.
countrylad

Yes it was renowned for it's cider, as I've said John Pope(owner) his father was supposed to have been the last bloke in Birmingham to brew his own cider it was on Holloway head just before you got to Cheshire's of Nottingham the carpet suppliers
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #1000 on: July 23, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »
That's the one  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy