Author Topic: Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs  (Read 333640 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs
« Reply #1001 on: July 23, 2018, 10:24:14 AM »
The Greyhound, was this also know as the Cider House. I wasn't much of a town pub person but I'm sure I went in there once in 1976. I seem to remember it looked a bit like a modern 60's pub? There also seemed to be a load of construction work going on around it at the time.
countrylad

Countrylad

I think the Greyhound was more likely to be known as the Scrumpy House as what was drunk there  could hardly be described as Cider. As for what it looked like in the 70's  wouldn't know as I suppose the last time I was in there was about 1967/68. I'm sure I have posted at least one of these images before on this forum and this is what the pub looked like from the outside when I used it on occasion in the early sixties.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #1002 on: July 23, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »
Must take exception to that staement Phil. Scrumpy is the proper original cider. The clarified modern version,  and the ones  nowadays often adulterated with awful things like blackcurrant, or strawberry,  are modern inovations, and, while some may be very refreshing, are the ones that perhaps should not bear the cider name, sometimes being merely different versions of alcopop. A scientific  friend who is very knowledgeable about these thinga once told me that some "ciders" could almost be described as " just having an apple waved accross the fermenting vat", because of the low apple content. I think he was particularly describing the "White lightening" type

Steve

« Reply #1003 on: July 23, 2018, 12:10:22 PM »
Well said MJ, I know that some of the clarified stuff gets concentrated and transported via tankers to bottling plants where it it re-hydrated. Probably with more water then needed.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

mikejee

« Reply #1004 on: July 23, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »
It would be the apple juice that is concentrated and then rehydrated.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1005 on: July 23, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »
Must take exception to that staement Phil. Scrumpy is the proper original cider. The clarified modern version,  and the ones  nowadays often adulterated with awful things like blackcurrant, or strawberry,  are modern inovations, and, while some may be very refreshing, are the ones that perhaps should not bear the cider name, sometimes being merely different versions of alcopop. A scientific  friend who is very knowledgeable about these thinga once told me that some "ciders" could almost be described as " just having an apple waved accross the fermenting vat", because of the low apple content. I think he was particularly describing the "White lightening" type

Mike

Please excuse me, what I should have said was "could hardly be described as what is known as cider today"  Myself I like a drop of Strongbow now and again and I'm partial to a pint of Thatchers (horrible name but a reasonable drink).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #1006 on: July 23, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »
Would agree with Thatchers, very refreshing,  but do not like taste of Strongbow

Steve

« Reply #1007 on: July 23, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
It would be the apple juice that is concentrated and then rehydrated.
Thanks MJ, that has clarified what i meant to say. O0

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Scipio

« Reply #1008 on: July 23, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »

It's funny you should say that Mike, an off licence I used to use , me and one of the gaffers there was putting the world to right one day talking about how people were showing themselves up getting drunk etc . He pointed to a 2ltr bottle of something he said "see that classed as cider , never seen an apple in it's life , so your friend obviously knew what he was talking about.

If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1009 on: July 23, 2018, 03:52:16 PM »
Scipio

I think you will find when it comes to food and drink Mike also knows what he is saying. I don't think he will mind me saying that he worked in the scientific side of the food industry until he retired.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

nathan

« Reply #1010 on: June 06, 2019, 09:36:37 PM »
skylark castle vale

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1011 on: June 06, 2019, 09:49:00 PM »
Nathan

I was only thinking the other day that its been a while since we heard from you , I hope you are well.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy