Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744898 times)

jayne

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1188 on: November 28, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »
hi all, may i thank you all for bringing back memories for me, i lived in dollman st at 140 from early 60s till 72. i have been looking for photos on the net but they are very hard to find, i used to go to vauxhall gardens, infants and then to the annex. i spent my first year as a senior at dudeston manor . we left nechells in 72 to go and live in yardley. thanks again for the great site x

pudding

« Reply #1189 on: November 29, 2010, 07:51:32 PM »
Hi all,Phil,Dek,and jayne,

As my dad came from (the unposh end of nechells as Phil calls it (Duddeston) I thought you mite like to take a look back to an old part of Duddeston mill road, the manor pub and cato street if you look closely you can see the windows of the Duddeston hall inn on the corner of summerset street just right of the lamp post in the photo. my dad lived just at the back of the mannor yes I have stood outside there with a packet of crisps and a bottle of vimto many a times
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1190 on: November 29, 2010, 08:21:28 PM »
Pudding

Thats a photo of the Manor that I have not seen before, though I have posted photos of The Manor Arms & The Victoria Inn on Duddeston Mill road somewhere on this forum. If you ever come across a close up photo of the The Duddeston Hall Inn (The Monkey House), please post it I've been looking for one for ages.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #1191 on: November 29, 2010, 08:43:41 PM »
The Manor was a pub I used frequently. I remember going in there in 1962 with a Maltese pound note which was legal tender then. I'd been  there and around the Med with the RN. The Gaffer wasn't sure whether I was winding him up, and was uncertain if it was worth a pound or maybe half a crown.
I had English money but I wanted to see his reaction. He eventually accepted it, and pinned it to the wall behind the bar. I think he had one or two other notes there too.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1192 on: November 29, 2010, 09:50:46 PM »
Steve

The Gaffer across the road in the Vic had a matchbox collection behind the bar he was quite proud of. I didn't go in there very often, but if ever I got an unusual box of matches I would drop it in to him.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1193 on: November 29, 2010, 10:47:37 PM »
Phil
sorry to have to disappoint you as I don't have a photo of the monkey house been keeping an eye out for one myself or any photo's of old nechells, we used to live just down from the manor up an entry next to the fish shop.can any one recall a bum's puzzle? a nick name for a given terrace off Duddeston mill road.

jayne

« Reply #1194 on: November 29, 2010, 11:57:51 PM »
hi pudding, thank you for the pics, i alas never frequented the posh end due to being a typical snotty nosed street urchin lol

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1195 on: November 30, 2010, 10:52:33 AM »
Pudding

Brighton Place, Duddestom Mill Rd. Known locally as "The Bums Puzzle" because of the practise of the residents of changing the house numbers around to confuse the Baliffs when they called.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1196 on: November 30, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »
Phil

I was told by my mom that the "bums puzzle" was the first terrace as you come over the railway bridge on the lefthand side going down the mill before Cato street. I have looked into this in the library to find out the true postal name which was known as vauxhall terrace,as for Brighton Place was further down the road just pass the fish shop before Devon street so I made it out to be?  you can just about see Brighton Place on the photo I posted (page 109 post 1193) I think the photo you posted is the right place but the wrong name?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1197 on: November 30, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Pudding you could be right, this was the location given with the photo, I will attach what is says. I have learnt over the years never to trust what a photo journalist says because they get it wrong more often than not.

In fact studying the map I think it is more likely than not that the photo is one of New Vauxhall Crescent as Brighton Place which according to Kelly's Directory is Court 7 on the map is far too small. It is not named on the map but it can be worked out from Kelly's.

The moral of the story is, always listen to your parents and not to silly young journalists.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #1198 on: November 30, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
One thing I'd like to find out about while you're all into maps of the area where I used to live, at 1/4 Devon St.
  From our front door we could see the backs of the houses on the Mill. One day I dug a deep hole in the middle of the court to bury some junk. The ground was full of housebricks.
 Were there once houses in between our house and the Mill, and if so what happened to them, just demolished, or bombed out in the war?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy