Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744939 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1419 on: January 25, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
Hi all

back down the hill of cook st to my old school Eliot street

pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1420 on: January 25, 2011, 02:18:39 PM »
Hi,

I was reading an old post from another link from "Gibson" who mentioned the greengrocers, Spencers, between the Soldier's Return and the newsagents on Nechells Park Rd! I worked there as a 13-15 year old kid in the the late 60s for Fred Spencer(A right crafty old [censored]), the owner.Fred, had another greengrocers on the Coventry Rd, facing Small Heath Park, a school friend of mine, Pete Rush, was working in that one and got me the job.

For two years, as a young 13-15 year old I used to get the "float"(Money) from Flynns(The newsagents) next door and open up at 9-00am. I had to lift and fill all the sloping wooden spud shelves at the back, put all the stuff out the front(in the summer all the plants in wooden boxes), serve the customers etc. That crafty old get, Fred, never used to turn up 'til 10-30 for the last 18 months!!

For dinner I used to go down Nechells Park Rd, past Andy's garage and past High Park St there was a chip shop on the other side of the road.

In the afternoon the crafty old git used to have me carrying all the boxes of tinned vegetables and fruit etc. upstairs; they were delivered from an entrance in Cattles Grove. The bloody rats and mice were horrendous.

At Christmas the old [censored] had live turkeys delivered. He taught me how to wring their bloody necks, although I have to say I chased the [censored] around the back yard for bleedin' ages before I got used to things.

I will say that, like many of my generation, he and the job taught me so many lessons. I wonder how the young kids of today would get on? Ten Bob for a Saturday, two quid for the week in the school holidays!!!

pudding

« Reply #1421 on: January 25, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »
Hi Tony, great part of old nechells life story what street or road did you live in then?

pudding

gibson

« Reply #1422 on: January 25, 2011, 07:11:58 PM »
Thanks Tony, for your story of Spencers the green grocers, I recall Fred the owner, your tale of your time working for him, put a smile on my face, I wonder why that shop was demolished, yet the rest of the row, was declared a listed building, starting at Flynns, and ending at Bullivants, keep the pictures and memories coming, they are greatly enjoyed by many Nechells people like myself.

pudding

« Reply #1423 on: January 28, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
Hi all

let's have a walk around the block to crompton road on the left of the photo is the school play ground wall (as it was now new houses) you can just see the gate by the gas lamp post,and in the distant is the old Hercules cycle factory and to the righthand side is Avon die castings.now also gone. opposite the school gate was a fabricated annex that was built (1957/59 not sure)any photo's of it please.

pudding

phil48

« Reply #1424 on: January 30, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »
evening all
i am reseaching my family history there is one person i am very intrigued by and i have a photo of him on his wedding day to my aunt adelaide buckerfield his name was thomas edgar harrison he was a widower and had been married to an amy platt and i think they had quite a few children he lived in cranemore street nechells and i was wondering if there is anyone on this site remembers any harrisons or buckerfields from this area he was killed in an air raid in 1940
any info would be appreciated
phil

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1425 on: January 31, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »
Hi Pudding,

I lived in Vauxhall as a young lad. We then moved to Washwood Heath in 1959. However, I still had quite a few relations who remained in the Duddeston area until the 80s.

As I said previously, A school friend at Bordesley Tech., who worked at Spencers other shop on the Coventry Rd. got me the job at Spencers on Nechells Park Rd. I loved it and made a few friends at the time who lived in the Area.

I can remember drinking in some of the pubs when under-aged....The New Inns, Sodiers and The Newfound.....Happy memories.

Tony
Hi Tony, great part of old nechells life story what street or road did you live in then?

pudding

pudding

« Reply #1426 on: January 31, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
Hi tony (whittington)

thank you for your reply. do you have a photo of the new inns pub by any chance?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1427 on: January 31, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Hi Pudding,

If Tony can't help you out then I have one I can post.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1428 on: January 31, 2011, 03:56:21 PM »
Going back to the topic of conversation a couple of weeks back, here is a photo of the actual Bundy clock in question. Sorry but it doesn't show or say what side of Cuckoo Rd it was on, but I do note that the bus stop says "To City"

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1429 on: January 31, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
Phil.

This has to be on the same side as the Nechells Park Hotel( Newfound), on the other side from Argyle St. Great photo, by the way........where the hell have you got all these from?

@ Pudding, Again, I will leave it to the master, Phil, for the photo of the 'New Inns'. I remember, I hope, that there was an upstairs room from the side street where they held dances(OLD NAME FOR THEM). Us, as younger kids, used to hide up there drinking!!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy