Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745024 times)

Steve

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1441 on: February 01, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
Hi Pudding, I had a quick shuftie on the web, and from a photo posted on Flickr of the Bundy clock in Walsall arboretum, a date of "around 1900" is given.
  Vauxonion's post made me think a bit, I'm sure the old open back buses used to do a u-turn, but when the new type with the door at the front came in is when they went up Crompton Road, obviously had a wider turning circle as they were longer.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1442 on: February 02, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »
Heres a photo that is more my end of Nechells, its not one that I have seen about before either. It's a view of Scholefield St taken from Great Lister St dated 1960.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1443 on: February 02, 2011, 11:31:39 PM »
Phil, I think this photo will do nicely with your last post ;)
Where there is a will there is a way

blane

« Reply #1444 on: February 03, 2011, 12:29:27 AM »
Phil/Pudding  -  I remember that building on the corner of Scholefield St/Gt. Lister St. the first one is when it was a corn/pet shop,and the second one with all adverts painted out was when it was a lodging house.On the opposite corner was Davidsons cafe,with the Birmingham Municipal bank and a public house on the other side of the road,Little Francis St./Gt.Lister St.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1445 on: February 03, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »
Blane

This is the scene you describe on the other side of Great Lister St, its Little Francis St with the Birmingham Municipal Bank on one corner, and sadly not showing  the Lister Tavern on the other anybody got a photo of this pub?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1446 on: February 03, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
Phil,Blane is this photo taken more or less from the same spot give and take a few yards? as the building on the right of the pic just barley visible looks like the bank on the corner of little Francis street as I have to be honnest by the time I was old enough to able to get around on my bike all of old grt Lister street had gone under the tatmac of Nechells park way :(

Steve

« Reply #1447 on: February 03, 2011, 11:56:25 AM »
Great pic's, Thosw were the days, if you had a car there was always somewhere to park and it was free.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

gibson

« Reply #1448 on: February 03, 2011, 12:44:26 PM »
Pudding, the picture you posted of the building painted white, corner of Scholfield Street, and Great Lister Street, was a corn merchants, and pet food shop, in 1957 it became Stuarts furniture Store, we purchased our very first three piece suite from there, Mr Stuart the owner also had a shop in Acocks Green Village, my late brother in law lived above the Acocks Green shop, Great Lister Street in those days was a thriving shopping centre.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1449 on: February 03, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »
Pudding

I remember Great Lister St well, I used to go shopping down there on a Saturday with my mother, its just a shame that she never had much money to spend, but we used to travel the whole length of it looking for bargains. If I was very lucky I would get a few pennys to spend in the book shop just up above the Royal Oak they kept a large stock of second hand comics which could be purchased very cheaply.

I also used to have to make the journey down there from Francis St to get a jug of [censored] & peas for tea. I would usually have toast & dripping that night because I hated [censored].

When they demolished Great Lister St that was the end of Nechells as it used to be. There was never any attempts to replace it except for a few shops scattered here and there like Revsby Walk and similar.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1450 on: February 03, 2011, 01:53:52 PM »
A few more photos of my end of Nechells, but they should be equally recognisable to all. Goodrick St that ran from Great Lister St to Fowler St and the next street along Great Lister St,  Lingard St that ran also to Fowler St. Then from up by Dartmouth St it is Adams St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1451 on: February 03, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »
Hi all
Steve, maybe the geezer wasn't born with the yellow paint brush then :2funny:

gibbson, thank you for the info on the shop on the corner of grt Lister st and Scholefield st you certainly know old Nechells like the back of your hand :angel:

Phil, you posted a photo of grt Francis st and Duddeston mill rd junction on page 49 post 529 was the building to the right of the corner shop a pub?

pudding

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy