Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745066 times)

Steve

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1584 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
Don't know about your end, but here we get tatters in pickups with loudspeakers playing recordings of someone calling "Old iron" and bugle noises, on a daily basis inc. Sundays. Useful to get rid of unwanted stuff, but anything left in the street unattended is taken. A chap temporarily left a chairlift out while he was clearing his garage and went off to the dump. When he came back it was gone. It was due to be fitted in another house. There have been several other instances reported in the local rag.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

pudding

« Reply #1585 on: March 04, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
Hi all

Lets move up the Saltley road a few hundred yards to meet  the real unsung hero's of yesteryear's in Nechells, Lingard street fire brigade.

Pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

vauxonion

« Reply #1586 on: March 04, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »
Hi pudding as a young lad I used the Library (on the opposite corner) all the time with my free library tickets. I think it was 3 tickets and return the books within a fortnight. I can,t say I remember the fire station building do you know when it was demolished. Dek

pudding

« Reply #1587 on: March 05, 2011, 11:18:31 AM »
Hi Dek
I have a Kelly's directory for 1967/8, Lingard street fire sation is still in use as a repair facility for the fire brigade by the name of David Haydon Ltd.I can not say for definite the year it was demolished but I would guess about 1971/3.

Here's a photo of Saltley road thanks to Carl Chinn's archive's, can any body tell me if the pub on the corner of the side street is the George.

Pudding

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1588 on: March 05, 2011, 11:34:23 AM »
Hi Pudding,

Yes the pub is the George and it did a roaring trade during the miner's strike. I remember all the coaches that brought the miners being parked on land the other side of the bridge in the old Goodrick St that was all demolished by then. The old Eagle pub on the corner of Saltley Rd/Goodrick St was still there in the late sixties, but I can't remember whether it was still there at that time.

The George had an entrance on the corner on Satley Rd/Cato St, a bar to the right(Cato St) and a little snug to the left(Satley Rd) as far as I can remember, I was a young drinker then.

Tony

vauxonion

« Reply #1589 on: March 05, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »
Tony I am a little puzzled by your reply to Pudding regards The George but it may be this old brain of mine.The pub on the corner of Goodrick St was the Station as I recall as I played in their darts team up till the time it closed that would be about 1961(I then moved to the Dartmouth Arms).The George was a bit closer to the gas works by Cato St. Oh i,ve just had a terrible thought am I looking at the photo in the right direction.Dek

blane

« Reply #1590 on: March 05, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »
Hello Pudding  -  The pub you are refering to is'The Station' on the corner of Goodrich St.,just before Goodrich St. is Mrs. Fosters [censored] and Pea shop with Ray Morrells greengrocery shop on the corner.The time looks just before they started building the high rise blocks there,circa 1950/54.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1591 on: March 05, 2011, 02:37:54 PM »
Pudding

The pub on the corner of Goodrich St was The Station and the pub on the corner of Cato St was the George. I had surreptitious drinks in both and the Sportsman over the road. Here is the entry for Saltley Rd from the 1950 edition of Kelly's Directory.

Phil

SALTLEY ROAD (7),
Bloomsbury street to
Devon street & Nechells
place. MAP I 3, J 3.
SOUTH SIDE.
1 Eastmans Ltd. butchers
3 Binnell's Ltd. gireengios
5 & j Haynes Hy. Eric,
butcher
S Green Mrs. May, coffee
rms
.. here is Great Francis st ..
77 & 79 Wood Wm. Hy.
cooked meat dlr
81 White Brothers Laundry
Ltd. (receiving office)
83 Twigg Hy. Jas. wireless
engnr
85 Rushbrooke Aug. outfittr
87 & 89 Sharpe Rt. Ernest,
butcher
91 Woodward Edwd. tailor
93 Ramsay Mrs. Kathln.
dye.r & cleaner
95 Greenway Stanley Chas.
watch & clock repr
97 Walker Mrs. Annie
Holmes, cycle dlr
101 Holland W. E. & Son
Ltd. glass mers
here is Cato st
103 George Inn, Jack Leslie
Bird
105 B.T.P. Crisp Co. potato
crisp mfrs
107 Featherstone Vincent B.
& Son, butchers
here is Devon st
NORTH SIDE.
... here are Spring vale &
Lingard st
Bloomsbury Public
Library & News Room
(Miss Beatrice L.
Brown A.L.A. librarian)
46 Lismore Mis. Elsie
Marion, shopkpr
58 & 60 Godsall James &
Sons, carpntrs. &
joiners
62 Foster J. & Sons, motor
' cellulosers
66 GOSPEL MESSAGEMISSION
70 Slinn Thos. greengro
here is Goodrick st
73 Station Inn, Albt. Victor
Bond
84 York Metal Produots
sheet metal workers
BIB. 16
88 Jennings Mrs. Hannah
fried fish dlr
here is Railway ter ....
96 Hunt Mrs. Eleanor, grocer
98 Parish Mrs. Louie, newsagent
100 Jones & Williams, coffee
rms
102 Baines T. II. Ltd. baker:
.. here is Cato street north
104 Ward Fredk. Tho-s
fruitr
106 Brown Arth. boot repr
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
(Rev. Lorna M. Stanfield)
130 Sportsman P.H. Harry
Geo. Wells
Ashted Coaches, motor
coach proprs

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1592 on: March 07, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »
Hi all

thank you the gentlemen who have help to put me looking in the right direction.as I see it I am facing saltley viaduct. to the left of the picture but is out the shot is bloomsbury library and lingard street? please bear with me as most of this part of nechells I only seen from a pram or pushchair so to speak. Here is a example of what I mean cromwell street photo taken in 1956 thank to carl chinn's archives I can work out from an old a to z that oliver street is crossing cromwell street the house's on the left of the picture are still there today and the open ground to the right of the picture would this become denby close the then new doctors surgery?

Pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1593 on: March 13, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
Hi Pudding

You have got it right as far as I can see, in these photos the first one Cromwell Street is to the left of the photo at the junction of Great Lister St. The second photo shows the junction of Cromwell St & Rupert St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1594 on: March 14, 2011, 08:48:35 AM »
Hi Phil.  -  I think the second photo is named wrongly,Cromwell St. and Rupert St. never crossed.They ran parralel together from Rocky Lane to Great Lister St. It could be Oliver St and Cromwell St.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy