Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744925 times)

Steve

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1617 on: March 18, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »
I came across this whilst doing FH research
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

mikejee

« Reply #1618 on: March 18, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »
I am a little bit confused as to the identity of the Thimble mill. It is stated by the Victoria History to be “above the point where Thimble Mill Lane crosses the Hockley Brook”. Although it is not clear whether this is only before it was rebuilt “At some time between 1758 and 1833 …. a few hundred yards further downstream” . However it seems to be assumed that it is the same as the Nechells metal rolling mills which are south of where thimble mill lane crosses the Hockley Brook. As can be seen from the attached map (had to cut it back a bit so I could post it, the railway is in the top left corner and thimblemill lane just seen in the top right corner), according to the map , the road in the picture is not in the right position compared to the railway, unless ot courde the position of th eroad changed. Incidently , apparently the railway to the gasworks which must be the one in the picture, was built around 1884.  Anyway this is the mill that is claimed to be thimblemill

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1619 on: March 18, 2011, 03:54:04 PM »
Mike

From what I read it seems to have moved around a little, Originally the mill was driven directly by the Hockley  Brook (Aston Brook) then at a later time they dug out some ponds to drive the mill and increase power. I would imagine it would have been moved then.

Later when it was converted to electricity the rolling mills are said to have been built on top of the old Thimble Mill and millponds when they were filled in. From then on it became known as Nechells Mill.

Perhaps we should ask time team to do a dig there, I'm sure they would find lots of interesting features.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #1620 on: March 18, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »
I would agree with you (though Lyn hasn't had much luck with Timeteam and the Aston mill), but I think Aston Manor Brewery might onject to digging up the floor inside one of their brewhouses !

pudding

« Reply #1621 on: March 18, 2011, 04:59:43 PM »
Hi all

Mike thank you for the map and info

Steve here is a photo of Nechells mills that was in the area of mount st park and I think that the spion kop mound was created after the clearing and leveling of the mill pool?

Phil there was also a mill in the area of plume st known as manor mills

Pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

pudding

« Reply #1622 on: March 19, 2011, 08:06:58 AM »
Hi all

Here is the map to go with the above photo

Pudding

pudding

« Reply #1623 on: March 22, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »
Phil,

I have just notice a photo you posted page 136 post #1486 is a reverse shot of the one above of Nechells park mills wich I think is taken from Mount street, it seems to be allotments in the forground and background of the two pictures as for Mount pleasant that name puzzles me? it looks like the road with the houses is Stanley road?

Pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1624 on: March 22, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
Pudding

Yes I would agree that the road you can see is Stanley Road, what you have to remember about some of these old names is that they hark back to times when Nechells was countryside and farms. Nechells Gasworks was built on Primrose Hill, although I couldn't imagine it being known by that name 50 years ago, it is beginning to turn a little greener once again. As for Mount Pleasant I think that the top of many hills in Birmingham were called this, probably because of the pleasant outlook from the top of the hill. I can think of two other Mount Pleasants just off the top of my head.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1625 on: March 23, 2011, 11:29:03 AM »
Hi Phil & all

if we walk up Stanley rd we would come out here on this photo where the girl  wearing the white apron on Nechells park rd.

pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1626 on: March 23, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »
Pudding

Another one taken in 1922 from almost the same spot, showing a trolly bus just passing Stanley Road.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1627 on: March 23, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
Phil
a walk to the bottom of the hill turn around and look back up. on the right side of this photo is the gate of the Nechells park hotel pub (the new found),next the gateway what looks like paper/sweets shop was a cafe when I lived in Nechells. the houses on the left side are still there today also the cafe on the corner of mount st and Nechells park rd,just out of the shot.

pudding

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy