Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745059 times)

ronaldjoseph

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1793 on: June 26, 2011, 11:03:42 AM »
I was bought up in nechells and have some great memories of the duddeston mill area. During the 1970's it was the most brillient place for getting up to mischief, as most of the properties were being demolised.
I,ve got a good memery of the surrounding area, some of you may remember my family as there were eleven of us ,our surname seamark.The elder ones  were at loxton and bloomsbury street schools, the younger ones were at duddeston manor.  Only just found this sight , really impressed , specially some of the photos.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1794 on: June 26, 2011, 11:10:28 AM »
Hi Gillian

Welcome to the forum officially, I see you worked out how to post. I'm sorry I don't recognise the family name and coming from a big family was the norm in those days. Our family was quite small by standards of others only seven, 3 brothers and 3 sisters with me as the eldest.

Where did you live in Nechells, it might help some of the other members remember you?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1795 on: June 26, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »
Hello Ronald welcome to the forum what street are you from? I,m from Erskine St down the Vauxhall Rd my family lived there from 1948-- 66 although I wasn,t there all the time there were 15 of us counting me mom and stepfather. Dek

ronaldjoseph

« Reply #1796 on: June 26, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »
 :) Hi all, we lived at 133 windsor street by the dog and partridge pub, then when the houses were being demolished my parents relocated , howford grove, which was between the rocket and tom tumb pub.   my mom used to work at the gaiety cinema.Some may remember my older brothers and sisters as i was only born in 63.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1797 on: June 26, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »
Hi Gillian

I remember both locations well as I used The Dog & Partridge a couple of times and the Tom Thumb a lot more times, but you would have only just about been born then.

You would probably not remember the old Nechells that we have been discussing on this forum, but there again most of the Nechells that you were born to has once again been replaced.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1798 on: June 26, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Hi Phil, and all I was having a look around other forums and I came a cross this fantastic photo of a gas lamp street lighting I know its not taken in Nechells in fact it was ladywood, as us older one's know the housing conditions where all the same.this photo really reminds me as a kid it is nearly time to make your way home. but the best of all it is in colour and the refection of the gas lighting on the old corner shop it really pulls the memories back.

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1799 on: June 26, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »

Pudding,

I've seen this photo before also, yes it is a very evocative photo. I tell you what memory it brings to mind for me and that is standing in the outdoor of the Tom Thumb pub in Nechells when I was too young to drink.

The gaffer there was a nice bloke an ex copper and he told me a tale of another copper that everyone at his station called "The Moth", Why?, because when on night duty he flitted from gas lamp to gas lamp like a moth because he was scared of what was in the dark.

I hadn't got the heart to tell him that I had heard the same tale from a copper from Bradford St nick and another time from one Edward St nick.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1800 on: June 26, 2011, 06:57:32 PM »
Been booting today got a nice Alton Douglas book B,ham in the 50s take a look at this the caption is wrong but where is it taken from I know Phil will get it but see if you can get there first. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1801 on: June 26, 2011, 07:09:17 PM »
Dek

I think I posed exactly the same question the first time I saw this photo, by the way you do realise the name of the road is showing on your photo?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1802 on: June 26, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
Which road do you mean Phil, Cato St or Melvina Rd? the exact position of the photo taker is neither of these. Dek

pudding

« Reply #1803 on: June 26, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »
Hi Dek I would have thought the photographer was on south tower? looking north east as it is high up
pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy