Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745118 times)

vauxonion

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1804 on: June 26, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »
Hi pudding perfectly correct well done. Looking through the book I noticed a few more with the wrong location but in different areas when the subjects arise I will post them. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1805 on: June 26, 2011, 08:13:53 PM »
Yes

I agree with pud, Cato St is the other side of the railway track, Melvina Rd had still yet to be cut. its a little too far back to be from the tower of the school. The only place possible would be South Tower on what was then Great Francis St before they renamed it Little Hall Rd.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1806 on: June 26, 2011, 08:19:47 PM »
Dek

The more books you collect and the more photos you see will make you realise just how many times these authors responsible for these collections of photos get things wrong. I have come across hundreds by people who should know far better than some of the rubbish stated.

I have even seen roads and streets misnamed when the street names are in plain view. It very poor when often just looking them up in a directory will often reveal the correct location.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1807 on: June 26, 2011, 11:08:25 PM »
Hi All - The photo looks to be taken from the first floor laboratory of Loxton St Senior Boys School,you can see Mrs Fosters [censored] & Pea shop on Saltley Rd.Which would give the right perspective for the school,and to far away for the flats.

vauxonion

« Reply #1808 on: June 26, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »
Blaine that,s an interesting theory dated 1952 (which I think is correct) Loxton St School would still be there but cannot see the road I,ll have to give this one some more thought. Dek

blane

« Reply #1809 on: June 26, 2011, 11:26:08 PM »
Vauxonian  - The school was definitely there in 1952 as I left in December 1958.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1810 on: June 27, 2011, 08:46:59 AM »
If you look at this similar photo, the school is in the photo and it states it is taken from South Tower. This photo I think comes from Carl Chinn's site "Birmingham lives", not that this makes the description right because he can be as wrong as anybody else.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1811 on: June 27, 2011, 08:54:53 AM »
Vauxonian  -  Phil is correct in his assumption,the photo looks to be a cut down of the shot from the flats.The third block of flats is level with the school and the photographer is well behind the school. :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1812 on: June 27, 2011, 09:04:11 AM »
blane

I don't think the second photo is a cut down version of the first, but I think it may have been taken a few moments later. As you can see a car in the first photo at the bottom of the hill and in the second it is halfway up the hill.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1813 on: June 27, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »
Blaine look at the lamp post opposite the second block of flats in both photos it has to be south tower the angle is all wrong for the school. I don,t know if you can remember but originally Little Hall Rd went straight down to the Saltley Rd they blocked it off and turned into Melvina Rd when they built the Community Centre Dek

pudding

« Reply #1814 on: June 29, 2011, 01:45:32 PM »
Hi Phil,Dek,& Blane,and all, as we are in conversation of photos and the reference to them I can only assumed that the photo that Dek posted on page 164 post 1801 is sightly over expose as the sky shows no clouds and the walls of the new buildings are wash out I personally think it is the same shot as the one that Phil posted on page 165 post 1811 but has been cropped, as for Phil's photo I think the photographer has done what we would call drop down an F-stop to make the picture darker as you can see the clouds on the sky line.having been a semi professional photographer myself in my time of youth, photographers always take two or more shots of the same subject with different setting on the camera and then pick out the best one for the purpose of the assignment.I don't think the photographer would have the time to change the lens from one focal length to another for as Phil pointed out the car coming up gt Francis st/little hall road has only moved a few yards that's assuming it is the same car as it is hard to make out.
as for referencing and cataloging and naming dates etc of photos in books and on other sites I am posting two examples of the same subject from the same web site.the first states it was taken in 1950 which I think is the right year, the second states it taken 1959! I think those bill posters has lasted well for nine years,I would have though that by 1959 a new road or block of flats would have been in place by then? if you look at the first picture you can not make out to names on the road sign to the other districts, in the second picture you can, also the name as the subject is a pub, The lamp tavern on the old Vauxhall road the first pic is named the camp tavern? the second pic is named correctly I think? the lamp tavern but taken 1959!
pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy