Author Topic: Ward End Park  (Read 29433 times)

Steve

Ward End Park
« on: July 11, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
Ward End Park is getting bad moans from folk discussing it in another forum. They are saying it's not a safe place to go any more. Drugs, Prostitution and Mugging are mentioned.
 Is there truth in this, anyone been in there recently?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

SENSIBLE

Re: Ward End Park
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »
I went there about 3 years ago just for memories sake. It was just as I expected it to be - completely ruined, a total disgrace - just like everything else in the local area that this once lovely park is located!  Ward End, Washwood Heath and Alum Rock are areas that I would not want to visit any more.
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

frederick

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
That sounds like another very sad story    :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Steve

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:18:59 AM »
I spent many a happy day in there, I lived in Bankdale Rd near the Pelham. The Arboretum and the flower garden with a big clock on it was always a pleasure. The area seems to be going downhill fast. 3 local pubs gone plus the Cinema etc. Makes me a little sad allright.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

page

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »
Don't go anywhere near ward end park it has not been safe to walk in there for the last few years, when we lived in Hodge Hill we heard all sorts of stories about the park, all around that area is not a nice place to live.

Mogmeister

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »
These days its not nice and not safe , such a pity for what was a beautiful park and a lovely lake .

blane

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »
It can not be all that bad,I've have been invited to join the Son's of Rest,who regularly meet in the old boat house. :-\ :-\ :-\

frederick

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:39:10 AM »
What makes the park unsafe   :-\  parks are usually a place of pleasure.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

tom555

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 09:56:54 AM »
I thought that them people that the labour party let into Birmingham in the 60s, 70, 80s, 90s I could go on, to work in the factories and shops to keep wages and costs down. That them muslims would not allow ward end park or there area to shame them people. As in most muslim countries if you steel or cause any sort of problems to others you could end up being stoned. Its hard to think in a small city like Birmingham that this is happening. Local government must be the problem, I don't mean that we knock down a row of houses and build new ones will solve this problem as that would be more corruption. 

nechellscoalman

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »
When we moved into Wallbank Road opposite Ward End Park in 1963 the park was used everyday by most people who lived in the area - it was beautiful! I would spend my summer holidays as a 12 year old fishing or boating on the pond and there was always a cricket match and Crown Green Bowls being played on the top section.

It was ruined many years ago by a combination of factors, not least negligence of the City Council who were too busy with grandiose commercial schemes like the NIA and destroying the Bull Ring yet again, to be even bothered with the actual people and culture of the city. Just interested in the money!

The park is now a metaphor for the rest of Birmingham - wasteland where no Brummie want to live.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »
My family came from Alum Rock / Ward End. My nan lived in Sandbourne Road. I knew the Pelham when it had a cinema and a model shop opposite (I used to get my Hornby trains fixed there). I have a fondness for the area - or rather I used to. I avoid it like the plague, now, along with several other parts of Birmingham. That connection has been lost. Like a lot of areas in Birmingham, now, it no longer belongs to us, sadly. Even driving through there I feel like a stranger. The same with the park. I remember watching the trains go through it (steam trains!).  I know that Alum Rock park has gone a similar way. You need to be of a particular type to be allowed in there. Same with Cannon Hill park. What on earth is happening? I don't necessarily blame the council. Government, yes. Also hidden agendas. I, for one, am glad I won't be around to see the conclusion. Sorry, but it makes me so sad.
Now, where did I put my time machine ....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy