Author Topic: Ward End Park  (Read 29447 times)

frederick

Re: Ward End Park
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »
For those of us that have moved way from our beloved city for one reason and another, what we are hearing about the parks we so loved seems very hard to comprehend very sad   :(    :o
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

nechellscoalman

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
My family came from Alum Rock / Ward End. My nan lived in Sandbourne Road. I knew the Pelham when it had a cinema and a model shop opposite (I used to get my Hornby trains fixed there). I have a fondness for the area - or rather I used to. I avoid it like the plague, now, along with several other parts of Birmingham. That connection has been lost. Like a lot of areas in Birmingham, now, it no longer belongs to us, sadly. Even driving through there I feel like a stranger. The same with the park. I remember watching the trains go through it (steam trains!).  I know that Alum Rock park has gone a similar way. You need to be of a particular type to be allowed in there. Same with Cannon Hill park. What on earth is happening? I don't necessarily blame the council. Government, yes. Also hidden agendas. I, for one, am glad I won't be around to see the conclusion. Sorry, but it makes me so sad.

I empathise entirely with you Gary. Our cultural and personal birthright has been destroyed in Birmingham because of ambitious interfering local politicians and national politicians NIMBY profiteering. Why can't we go back and see the houses and areas where we grew up and our schools, and fondly remember...simply because the inner cities were available to be sacrificed, as were the working class people who lived there.

Bet David Cameron and his mate George and all the others down in Parliament can still go see where they grew up without being sickened and alienated! We are just the 'underclass' to them, and so we don't matter!

frederick

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
I have always said that it was a big Birmingham council move to bring in another nationality, and they have succeeded   >:(   :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

nechellscoalman

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »
I have always said that it was a big Birmingham council move to bring in another nationality, and they have succeeded   >:(   :(

Councillors just want power and popularity or money and a stepping stone to Parliament.......there was no plan to do that. However ethnic minorities in Birmingham have been much more enthusiastic about fostering and becoming councillors than the indigenous white community....it is their town now.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 11:39:57 PM »
I agree, nechellscoalman. I would love to visit the places that I used to go to as a kid. However, it simply wouldn't be the same now. Who'd have thought The Pelham cinema becoming a mosque? Sadly, it's happening everywhere (Stechford, Sheldon, The Glebe). Incidentally,  I think the word 'minority' is used incorrectly these days. I regard myself, now, as a 'minority' and I don't see that changing. The face of my country has been changed against my will and it can't be changed back. Our stupid, blinkered. politicians would see that if they were to step out into the real world. Not that they'd care anyway. When I think back to when I was a youngster it makes me weep to see what has happened - and is continuing to happen. I often think about what this city/country will look like in 10 years time and I am genuinely scared. I suggest that we enjoy ourselves whilst we can!
Now, where did I put my time machine ....

nechellscoalman

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 12:10:46 AM »
I agree Gary!
Went to the Pelham cinema a few times but mostly enjoyed the 'Rock' and Coleshill Street ABC.
We are only a minority in the big cities. If you get outside of the conurbation it is different..... but why should we have to do that to keep our culture?
Agree....make the most of it now... but what about the kids and grand kids... what will they have?  :(

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
If these cinemas and pubs and old churches that have been converted to Mosques had not been converted they would have been demolished years ago as obviously we were not using them. So in fact we should be thankful that someone has saved them from the demolition hammer.

Having said that can I remind you this thread is about Ward End Park.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

colin walker12

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 01:21:34 AM »
In the 50s we used to live in nechels I used to go to ward end park to fish with my jam jar and net untill i fell into the lake and had to be rescued by the park keepers who took me into the boat house and dried me off infront of there stove im afraid after that ii was put off water for life and could never learn to swim

davered41

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »
I was born in Stechford and Ward End Park was great for me.A place of real beauty and calm.It is now a litter strewn hovel full of the local trash that infest the area.Not my fault or yours but of a national and local policy to destroy the things we hold to be normal and to have more regard to people with no connection to England apart from scavenging our welfare systems.Yes ward end park is a good example of state of our country which I fear is now beyond recovery.I pass through the are every day and pass the park in heavy traffic and so I have time to look and despair!

nechellscoalman

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
I was born in Stechford and Ward End Park was great for me.A place of real beauty and calm.It is now a litter strewn hovel full of the local trash that infest the area.Not my fault or yours but of a national and local policy to destroy the things we hold to be normal and to have more regard to people with no connection to England apart from scavenging our welfare systems.Yes ward end park is a good example of state of our country which I fear is now beyond recovery.I pass through the are every day and pass the park in heavy traffic and so I have time to look and despair!

Very true Dave!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »
 most parks had park keepers  who kept there eye on the folk that used the parks Birmingham parks dept made sure that the parks was clean safe but over the years this has fell by the way side Highgate park was my playground  the park keeper would lock the swings up and lock the park gates each night  I was told loads of time to get out of the park for standing up on the swings
so perhaps if we had park keeps back ward end park would become a clean and safe place to go
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy