Author Topic: Ward End Park  (Read 29434 times)

nechellscoalman

Re: Ward End Park
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »
Yep, I knew the Park Keeper for Ward End Park - he lived a few doors up from us in Wallbank Road.
Any Park Keeper these days would need to go in squads of six with full riot gear  ;D

vauxonion

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »
The Councils back to the 70s must take some blame for this every body loved the parks because they were kept beautifully and the Park keepers had a lot of pride in the work they did as did the people that used these parks when the budget was cut this was the beginning of their demise.

planespotter

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »
It's not hard to understand why pubs have closed in that area. The clientele have all moved out ....
As for the park, yes, I have many happy memories. Boating for one and fishing with my dad. I recall vivdly one time I was there as a kid. For some reason, that particular time, I recall the colour 'purple'. I think because, just before we left, Purple Haze were playing on the radio. Kind of stuck in my head for some reason. Anyway, when we turned up at the park on that summers day and recall throngs of people enjoying themselves. You never felt insecure. Just everyone being happy. It's funny what you remember, isn't it? It was the same every time we went - which was a lot as most of our relatives lived in the area.
It's no surprise it has gone down. An area is determined by the people who inhabit that area.
Sorry Phil. Converting the buildings to mosques is a *good* thing then? Suggest you think a few years ahead about what our society could look like (based on what has already happened), and decide whether that is the kind of society/city/country you want. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out, me thinks.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
This thread is about Ward End Park, how then has it turned into another anti immigration thread. We have enough of those on the forum. I understand that some members put it down to the now residents of Ward End, Washwood Heath and Alum Rock. We have received that input and those feelings are understood, but lets get back to the park. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planespotter

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »
Let me explain it to you, Phil. Ward end was a *poor* area and yet the park was perfect. It's still a poor area yet the park is far from perfect. Go figure. And if you think immigration has nothing to do with what has happened then I truly feel sorry for you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »
I did not say that immigration had nothing to do with it, I pointed out that this theory had been well expounded and it needed no adding to,  and that there are other threads on the forum dealing with that issue. This thread is primarily about the park and not immigration issues.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »
I seem to recall that on occasions there was a Fair on the ground between the railway and the end of the pool can any one shed any more light on this.

SENSIBLE

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »
I seem to recall that on occasions there was a Fair on the ground between the railway and the end of the pool can any one shed any more light on this.
There's been a fair there most years.  This year it was in June.
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
Dek

I'm sure that I went to the fair there a couple of years running in my younger years. We used to use the park quite often but it was a long walk from Francis St.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tony armstrong

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 01:14:49 PM »
phil that walk to ward end  from francis st very good for you even though it was probably to save the fare i walked from melvina rd last month to ward end then continued on to the fox and goose then caught number 11 to one stop and caught 51 home. O0

Shnsh

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 11:00:58 PM »
I came across this thread and just wanted to post to balance the view.
I am from this area and i use this park on a daily basis.
Many people who used to live in the area have expressed conncern over what they have heard or see from the outside.
Ward End Park is actually still quite a pleasant park, i remember my father bringing us here to feed the ducks when we were little, i am in my 30's now!
My kids use this park, its kept quite nice and tidy and on a nice day you can actually see the amount of people that still use it!
Yes many are of a certain culture but all still people with families who appreciate this park!
Its a nice open area to go to, many houses dont have large back gardens and children need the open space to play.
If u drive past in the morning you will see many older people or ladies groups going for walks in the park, they wouldnt do that if it wasnt safe!
Yes there has been bad stuff happening but u get that everywhere in inner city areas!
It just shows that even after all the bad press people have not abandoned the park!
In a few years time people using the park may well be like the people commenting on here with fond old memories, after they have moved out if the area.
Thats life, people move but memories remain!
I think i myself may well move too as there are many Romanians taking over and they too will move and god knows which group of people take over... But whoever they are i hope they appreciate the park as much as we do!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy