Author Topic: Anyone remember the Lucas plant near Sparkhill?  (Read 10629 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Anyone remember the Lucas plant near Sparkhill?
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 03:09:45 PM »
A couple of early photos of the Shaftmoor Lane plant note the airship flying overhead. Followed by a couple more early images of the Foremans Road plant.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »
This is the Shaftmoor Lane plant in 1953 obviously all decked out for the Coronation, but what are those machines and what are they doing?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 04:31:51 PM »
This is the Shaftmoor Lane plant in 1953 obviously all decked out for the Coronation, but what are those machines and what are they doing?
Not sure but one of their main products were car dynamos. perhaps they are winding them?

GILLIAN 52

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2020, 10:47:15 PM »
Hey all i was born at 234 formans road, sparkhill. Right across from Lucas's. Remember it well. We moved back to Ireland in 1976. Long time ago. 

Hi De Hi

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »
Further to Akatarawa's reply . In addition to the Lucas Battery Factory there was also a Die Casting Factory, The Plastics Factory making Lighting Clusters and Lucas Transport. In the 1970s there was quite a big outcry about Pollution particulary from the Die Casting and Battery Factories. A public meeting was arranged Chaired by local MP Roy Hatesley . I attended the meeting which was held in my old school in Formans Road which backed on to the Lucas Factories . As far as I remember nothing came of it. Like Akatarawa I too worked for Lucas at their Aerospace Factory in Shaftmoor Lane from 1967 to 1997. Knowing Lucas I would like to warrant that they would do everything possible to avoid any pollution.

I remember that. I went, with my parents, on a coach to London where we petitioned Roy Hattersley at the House of commons.  He had us brought in a treated us all to coffee and cakes inside.  Later my dad became his election agent and also agent for Sparkhill Councillors.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2021, 11:22:31 AM »
He was in the drawing office, always very modest so never knew his actual title. He used to spend time in Germany liaising with engineers over there and was involved with Tornado and Concord projects. Don't think we've got a photo to show you. Percy Cockerell I believe had been at school with him, Waverley in Small Heath and took over his job when Norman took early retirement.

I've been thinking and I recall a Norman who worked upstairs Ihe engineers were on the first floor and the draughtsmen on the second floor.  The guy I am thinking off retired and then worked at Tescos at Monkspath for a quite while moving the trolleys around.  He also featured recently of C5's GPs behind closed doors.

Spud

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2021, 11:43:58 AM »
Hi De Hi
The Ex Lucas man who worked at Tescos Shirley was probably my dear old friend  Norman Cape he worked in the MPD  . A real gent. Ex RAF. A group of us often went down to a Chinese Restaurant in Acocks Green on Fridays we all used to pile into Norman's Car. Have not seen him  at Tescos for many years.
There was a Norman Smith who was a draughtsman this would be around the same time as Percy Cockerell
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

frederick

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2021, 12:31:10 PM »
Spud,
Was that Chinese restaurant in Acocks Green on the second floor above other shops. If so we used to go there.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Spud

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2021, 02:35:00 PM »
Spud,
Was that Chinese restaurant in Acocks Green on the second floor above other shops. If so we used to go there.
Thats the one Fred almost opposite The Warwick Bowl

netty

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2021, 02:49:10 PM »
 Was it the Cherry Blossom? Above the first shop past the School

Spud

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2021, 03:35:00 PM »
Yes Netty that sounds right but I am going back to the late 60s

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy