Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928681 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #1496 on: April 05, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »
Hi Empty

Long time no see, I wouldn't think that the Castle pub on Lancaster Place (as it was) has anything to do with Castle Street that ran from High St to moor St as it is too far a distance between them.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Desi£Chord

« Reply #1497 on: April 05, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »
I used to work in the Tow Rope Cafe on Broad St when I was 14 from 1965 to around 1969, with my Brother Gerry.Anyone remember Desi & Gerry. It was an amazing place and lots of well known names came through the door in the early hours after The Rum Runner and other clubs closed i.e Tom Jones, Raymond Froggat, Wrestler and later Au wiedersein Pet actor Pat Roach, Rod Stewart, various members of ELO, even the Kray Brothers once paid a visit. Be great to hear from anyone who remember those days

Desi£Chord

« Reply #1498 on: April 07, 2013, 06:21:42 PM »
great photo. My late father was a barman here in the 60's while my Mother, me, and my siblings were in the homeless hostel not far away in ghgate, truly horrible place. Now 40 years later I perform here in the Chaos club upstairs, 4-5 times a year. The pub hasn't changed a bit

nathan

« Reply #1499 on: April 07, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »
desi$cord
last I heard of moseley arms it is good pub
dave

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1500 on: April 07, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »
Hi Desi

I remember the Tow Rope well and spent many happy hours there in the middle of the night. It used to get pretty crowded around three in the morning. I can't say that I remember any of the staff well at all but it has about 45 years since I was last in there and at that time of the morning I wouldn't be taking much notice of anything but the company I was with.

As for the Old Mo the gaffer in the 60's Don was a friend of mine and we spent many happy times after the accident that forced him to quit the Old Mo at the Brunswick Club on Moseley Rd. He was secretary there for many years until his death and the club itself closed not long after that.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mitch

« Reply #1501 on: April 22, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »
Hi there,

I lived at the shepherds rest for many years with my nan and granddad their names were George and Doris Cuzick I had the best years of my life at that pub and when I saw the photograph it brought tears to my eye,s, my dad and mom,s name are micky and alice cuzick and my name is michelle, I too have photo,s of me sitting on the doorstep of the bar always with an ice cream in my hand and on the photo I can see my bedroom where I used to sleep, I would give anything just to spend another day at the pub.

Rebeltrouser

« Reply #1502 on: May 07, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
Hi there.

I'm a newbie so I haven't kept up to speed with all the postings on this thread, but I'd like to get in on it.

The first pint I ever bought for myself, (at the highly illegal age of 15) was in the Custard House, Blake Lane, Small Heath. It was a very popular place as I'm sure many of you would remember, with a sizeable function room upstairs as well as sporting a formidable darts team. It would be about 1975, and as far as I can recall I paid something like 40p for a pint of Carling. Then I incorporated the Avenue, Green Lane, The Country Girl (can't recall the road but it was the CG in Bordesley Green, not Selly Oak), and the Yew Tree as regular haunts. Incidentally does anyone remember a slim booklet by Fred Pearce just called Birmingham Pubs (I think). It featured pithy three or four line reviews of all the alehouses Pearce visited and was published around 1976. A typical review would be something like "What's known in the vernacular as a rough pub" (He's describing the Emily Arms in Highgate) "barmaid with scar on her cheek...blacks play cards in one corner, whites with tattoos glower in another...pub dog big and wolfish", that kind of thing. I'd love to flick through it again.

The Brum pubs I use most frequently these days are the Lamp, the Anchor and the White Swan in Digbeth, the newly refurbished and much improved Craven Arms next to the Mail Box, the legendary Wellington and Post Office Vaults and when possible the Black Eagle in Hockley.

Cheers.

Ian M

« Reply #1503 on: June 11, 2013, 02:46:25 AM »
Thanks for putting up those photos Phil.
   Some of the names are familiar. I remember coming down Spring Hill and at the bottom ( I think on the corner of Middleway) was a shopping precinct and a pub. I imagine the pub would have been built in the 60's but I can't remember the name, maybe it was one of the ones you mentioned, or maybe it's still there .

I'm trying to get my bearings right. If you came out of the Dolphin and turned left away from Digbeth you went down a bit of a hill and I think the pub on the other side was the Clements, maybe I'm wrong as I'm going from memory.

If you went past the Greenway along Coventry road away from the city was the next pub up the hill on the same side the Wrexham?  The pub whose name I couldn't remember was pretty much opposite the Wrexham if that's the one I'm thinking of. It's been a while so my memories may  not be so accurate.

Round about what years did you drink in the Dolphin Phil? If it was around '79 - '82 we may have known some of the same people.

I'm still on dial up but was looking at Google satellite maps in the internet shop and was aghast at how much of the old Small Heath  has been knocked down and replaced with shopping centres and warehouses and worse, how many of the old pubs have gone.

I often thought that maybe if I ever got back to Brum I may take a tour of all the old pubs but it looks like most of the ones I knew are gone. Such a shame

Pete.... you are thinking of 'The Florin' built circa 1972-3 inside the Brookfield Precinct (now demolished) behind the library!  O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1504 on: June 14, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »
Nathan

I have moved your photos as promised under the heading Birmingham & the Midlands Pubs on the Birmingham Photos & Videos Board.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

nathan

« Reply #1505 on: June 14, 2013, 05:19:41 PM »
cheers phil

colin walker

« Reply #1506 on: October 08, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
this is I believe the shakespear

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy