Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928635 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #2442 on: February 13, 2019, 04:18:51 PM »
Judith

I'm surprised at you not knowing that it was the Orthopedic Hospital until quite recently well at least what I would term as recently roughly sometime in the mid 90's I believe.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2443 on: February 13, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »
Did anyone drink in the Harlequin Shard End. It was my Dads and my local for years, I even worked there and loved it.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

JudithM

« Reply #2444 on: February 18, 2019, 01:06:53 PM »
Judith

I'm surprised at you not knowing that it was the Orthopedic Hospital until quite recently well at least what I would term as recently roughly sometime in the mid 90's I believe.
I wasn't familiar with Broad Street until the mid-90's by which time it was a night club (I knew someone who worked there as a cocktail waiter).  I didn't start drinking in Town until the late 80's & then only the city centre. The only Orthopaedic Hospital I knew of is the one on the Bristol Road by Northfield. 

I hope they find a better use for it now.  There's enough clubs along Broad Street already.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2445 on: February 18, 2019, 02:51:56 PM »
Judith

The Orthopaedic Hospital on Bristol Road came into being in being in 1907 when George Cadbury gave the Woodlands to The Crippled Children's Union which was an amalgamation of several cripple hospitals one hospital was on Hurst Street and another on Newhall Street.

In 1925 The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, The Spinal  Hospital and the Birmingham Cripples Union came together and King George V approved the title of The Royal Cripples Hospital.

By the 1930's they were able to invest in outpatient facilities at Broad Street, inpatient facilities at the Woodlands as well as convalescent facilities.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

davidc

« Reply #2446 on: February 19, 2019, 09:37:41 AM »
Phil,

Pubs and hospitals serve much the same purpose. What do you say? :)
Power corrupts

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2447 on: February 19, 2019, 10:23:50 AM »
Phil,

Pubs and hospitals serve much the same purpose. What do you say? :)

I wouldn't say that, but I have known plenty of pubs that looked like the casualty department of a hospital on some nights.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2448 on: February 19, 2019, 12:11:33 PM »
This is a pub I have no knowledge of, so any information offered would be gratefully received. According to the information with the photo it is the Corn Cob on Callowbrook Lane Rubery. On checking streetview there is no sign of it now or any indication where it might have been located. The only pub I remember on Callowbrook Lane was the plough, but thats gone as well now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #2449 on: February 19, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »
Phil
According to http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1090.1023 there are flats on the site now

JudithM

« Reply #2450 on: February 19, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
Judith

The Orthopaedic Hospital on Bristol Road came into being in being in 1907 when George Cadbury gave the Woodlands to The Crippled Children's Union which was an amalgamation of several cripple hospitals one hospital was on Hurst Street and another on Newhall Street.

In 1925 The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, The Spinal  Hospital and the Birmingham Cripples Union came together and King George V approved the title of The Royal Cripples Hospital.

By the 1930's they were able to invest in outpatient facilities at Broad Street, inpatient facilities at the Woodlands as well as convalescent facilities.

Interesting, thanks for the information.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2451 on: February 19, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
Phil
According to http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1090.1023 there are flats on the site now

Mike

It just shows how bad the memory is getting, I don't remember that conversation at all. There again I didn't take part in it so perhaps I never read it, but I'm no further ahead now. Perhaps Astwood will come on and tell us exactly where it was, as the only new flats I can see are where the Plough was.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #2452 on: February 19, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »
There are lots of flats & 'newer' houses along Callowbrook Lane (my daily commuter route!). When was this demolished?  I thought it looked familiar at first, but thinking about it a lot more I think it just looks like a pub near where my Dad lives.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy