Author Topic: the old pubs of brum  (Read 928641 times)

mw0njm

Re: the old pubs of brum
« Reply #2475 on: September 08, 2019, 12:20:35 PM »
When I worked in the City I used to drink at a pub on the corner of Steelhouse Lane and Newton street.   Forget its name but I knew it as 'Gilhooleys' (Sp?)  Anyone recall it?

Many a Friday evening I have flown home in  a partial haze from the bar there.     :o

I've not used a pub for some twenty odd years now and clubs, I guess some thirty.  The prices they began charging together with my growing older decided me a glass at home was just as refereshing.  Sad ain't I.
no mate just wise.

mw0njm

« Reply #2476 on: September 08, 2019, 12:33:55 PM »
Phil,

Pubs and hospitals serve much the same purpose. What do you say? :)
na hospitals patch you up after you been in the pub. like the meadway.and some bods throw you through  the window

townie

« Reply #2477 on: September 08, 2019, 04:15:38 PM »
na hospitals patch you up after you been in the pub. like the meadway.and some bods throw you through  the window

Saves using the door. The Meadway used to be a good pub my grandad used it now and again, I followed him when old enough or big enough to see over the bar.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

mw0njm

« Reply #2478 on: September 09, 2019, 05:40:25 PM »
Roy,

If there was one thing I was able to do well, it was drink not a thing to brag I know but who amongst us does not have issues in their past they are not proud of. I have frequented pubs in the city centre, I have frequented pubs in the suburbs, I have drank in night clubs, working mens clubs, drinkers and shebeens. In fact I have drank everywhere and anywhere you could buy a drink.

That being said my first pint cost me 1/1d and it was in the Sportsman, Saltley Rd, Neachells and it was bloody awful, but I soon acquired a taste for it. I remember going to the Bowling Alley & Ice rink not long after it opened and my mates played bowling while I stood at one of the little side bars and drank a measure of everything on the price list from top to bottom and because I still felt sober I restarted at the bottom working my way up.

Everything was great until I got outside into Edgbaston Street. I must have fell in love with the pavement, because the next thing I knew I was flat on my face kissing it. Such happy memories.

Phil
phil . i was like that many times. one night i stagger`d out the cat shard end. and fell asleep on a front garden, to be woke by a woman hitting me and shouting. i later moved to the two hands. safer there. no nora batty.down there

mw0njm

« Reply #2479 on: September 09, 2019, 05:42:33 PM »
Saves using the door. The Meadway used to be a good pub my grandad used it now and again, I followed him when old enough or big enough to see over the bar.
yes it was good. just like the manor house that was good.  happy times.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2480 on: September 09, 2019, 06:23:45 PM »
Pete

I used the Meadway for a time around 82-83 and I drank in the bar and I never saw the slightest sign of trouble in there. Yes it was a bit of a rough pub,but so were many of the pubs I used so perhaps I was used to it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2481 on: September 09, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
Pete.
I think a lot of pubs closed not for the lack of customers but for the ever growing number of smackheads.

mw0njm

« Reply #2482 on: September 10, 2019, 10:16:20 AM »
Pete

I used the Meadway for a time around 82-83 and I drank in the bar and I never saw the slightest sign of trouble in there. Yes it was a bit of a rough pub,but so were many of the pubs I used so perhaps I was used to it.
phil. before i moved here to wales.i lived across from that pub. it got so bad they shut it up. shame as you say it was a good pub.

mw0njm

« Reply #2483 on: September 10, 2019, 10:22:47 AM »
Pete.
I think a lot of pubs closed not for the lack of customers but for the ever growing number of smackheads.
   yes townie,true.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2484 on: September 10, 2019, 10:37:24 AM »
phil. before i moved here to wales.i lived across from that pub. it got so bad they shut it up. shame as you say it was a good pub.

Pete

If I remember correctly the Meadway opened in 1962 after replacing a temporary pub that had opened in the 1950's on the same site. When somebody I knew moved into the area from Belgrave Road Balsall Heath  we would occasionally take a trip up to the Meadway weekends when they used to have bands in the back room to have a drink with him. Years later when he started working for us in the 70's I started having the occasional drink with him there again. As I mentioned in the early 80's I in fact became quite a regular there for a while.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #2485 on: September 10, 2019, 04:33:41 PM »
Pete
In the 50s we were offered a house in Kelynmead Road just across the road from you. The Meadway would have been my local but fortunately we moved to Shard End. Did you go to Whittington Oval?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy