Author Topic: Washwood Heath & Ward End  (Read 8851 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Washwood Heath & Ward End
« on: March 02, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
Member IK has asked for some photos of the Fox & Goose area of Birmingham, with that in mind I have started this threas and would encourage any members who have any old photos or memories of the area to place them here. I'll start off with these three, as I have very few memories that I can add.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Washwood Heath & Ward End
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:53:09 AM »
Here are three more views of the area, other than a few trips to the Beaufort Cinema and a weekly visit to the playing field on Coleshill Rd when at St Vincents School I had very little to do with the area.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

IK

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
Many thanks for these...

comparing them now...the place looks very different.

What was the main work available around the area at the time?

Its a fascinating to see the changing face of the area and its inhabitants and compare the types of people lived in those old times and the work they did and then the change that takes place over number of years. Although most of the people currently living here are oblivious to its past and properly don't care hugely about its future but then they would behave the same wherever they lived...

...one wonders if things were different some how what would it have been like now....

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »
AS I say. I don't know the area well but I would have thought that the main employers close by would have been The Metropolitan Camel Coach & Carriage Builders in Common Lane and the Wolseley in Drews Lane both in Washwood Heath.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

marshey

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:43:01 PM »
I worked at Dawsons in 1952 after I left school.  I was in the sweet shop adjoining the newsagents, both owned by Mr Dawson.  He was a real slave driver!  The Manageress was Mrs Astle and I think she lived somewhere off Coleshill Road, Madison Avenue I think.   Mr Dawsons mother lived at the back  of the sweet shop and would watch us through a hatch in the wall, to make sure we did`nt eat any sweets. I was only there for one year as I got fed up with working till 6.45pm Saturdays. I then went to Fisher & Ludlow as an office junior, they sent me to Pitmans Secretarial College in Albert Street to learn shorthand/typing.  I well remember the Beautfort Cinema, did some of my courting there, 2 films + newsreel and cartoon, and they changed halfway through the week.  Those were the days.  The main employment centred round the car trade in those days, sadly no more. The area has changed drastically and not for the better I`m afraid.   

planetmalc

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »
I worked at Dawsons in 1952 after I left school.  I was in the sweet shop adjoining the newsagents, both owned by Mr Dawson. 

I recently saw an old photo of Dawson's corner before it was built on: just a fence with a hedge behind it and some trees visible in the background.   The road alongside it (the Outer Circle bus route) was half its present width in those days.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 05:20:13 PM »
AS I say. I don't know the area well but I would have thought that the main employers close by would have been The Metropolitan Camel Coach & Carriage Builders in Common Lane and the Wolseley in Drews Lane both in Washwood Heath.

Dunlop wasn't far away.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 05:41:41 PM »
Things have changed a bit since the first photo and the second photo is one of Dawsons sweet shop.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

IK

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »
any old photos of Southbourne avenue, Hodge Hill?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy