Author Topic: Nazareth and Father Hudsons Childrens homes  (Read 1079 times)

beatnick bo

Nazareth and Father Hudsons Childrens homes
« on: March 13, 2014, 05:10:10 PM »
I believe my Father and His brother were sent to one of these children's homes and had an awful time I wonder if anyone has any memories of these home it may be the year was around 1925 so not expecting anyone to remember Him.Would be interested in stories.

jamesm

Re: Nazareth and Father Hudsons Childrens homes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »
In the late 60s we used to cycle to Coleshill to go fishing in the river Blythe. We had to pass Father Hudson's homes and there were always stories and terryfing (to a naive 11 year old) tales of what went on in there. I don't know how true they were but now that there are all these stories now coming to light regarding child abuse in these places it wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm just glad that I had a loving family upbringing and didn't go through the hell that some children had to endure.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »
you might find this useful they will help you   Care Leavers' Association
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

hastings

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 10:36:50 PM »
Hi,
I know my reply is 8 years after your comment on Nazareth House. I spent 6 weeks in the home with my brothers and sisters in 1971. I was 5 and I remember getting beaten up by 2 nuns for doing something really minor. My older sisters witnessed this attack as they were a few years older than me and they still remember it. The place was very sparse and under funded. I forgive the nuns, but what your dad said is true. Most of the nuns were very nasty and it has put me of the Catholic religion.

Godber

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 08:03:54 PM »
Searching this place online and including the word “abuse” gives a picture of the horrors perpetrated there.

hastings

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 08:41:54 PM »
I actually consider myself lucky as I was only there for a short time. I think the staff knew our parents were going to come back for us. We had all emigrated to Australia and returned 3 years later and my parents became homeless. 6 weeks later they found work and got back on their feet and raised enough money to rent a place in Bedwoth where we grew up and went to a Catholic school! The staff were better to us because of this. There was a nun of African descent who was really nice to us, so not all bad. My older sister remembers playing in a park near the home and the other kids saying don't play with them, they are from the home. That attitude must have come from their parents. There are all sorts of reasons why kids end up in care and it is not the child's fault. Ironically I now teach foster carers how to deal with challenging behaviour caused by childhood trauma!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy