Author Topic: Hodge Hill  (Read 6887 times)

mike mancott

Re: Hodge Hill
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2021, 10:27:20 AM »
I came across a Hodge Hill Estates builders prospectus. In the 30`s they were building 3-bedroom semis to the west of Brockhurst Road, Radstock Avenue and others.
Also part of Primley Avenue is shown, though interestingly on the plan, this avenue is not joined up to Ventnor Avenue, and ends with a turning circle.
House prices were, £600 Leasehold (99 years` Lease), with a ground rent of £7.10s per annum.
You had the choice of purchasing on a weekly payment plan: deposit £50 (to include Legal Charges), then 16s 6d(82p)weekly over 20 years.
On the plan the line of the old narrow Bromford Rd is shown before being straightened and widened, and houses built.
I seem to remember that part of this "old" stretch remained undeveloped on the northern edge of the common, where Cornock`s sandpit was.

SENSIBLE

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 11:18:22 AM »
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 11:55:12 AM »
Hi Mike welcome back. Did you have a good xmas
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

mike mancott

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 12:00:01 PM »
Quiet-ish, Ed, just `er and me, though I still hold the On-call week-end phone for a Care Company most weekends and had it at Xmas.
A steady flow of texts and calls from carers and clients.
Keep safe, Ed.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 12:34:30 PM »
GERALD look at your PMs
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 06:23:07 PM »
I learnt to drive on the disused Castle Bromwich Aerodrome site before it became the Castle Vale housing estate.
Lots of memories of Castle Bromwich. The no 56 bus used to terminate and turn at the small layby opposite the Clock Garage. There was a Bundy clock there that the drivers had to turn a key in to register before setting off on their next journey to town. They used to call it 'pegging the clock'.

The Hunters Moon opposite Hodge Hill Common was a pub that I used to frequent as a teenager. Had some good nights there when they had the disco's on.  The road between Hodge Hill and the Fox and Goose always seemed a bit up market to me with it's lovely big houses. I remember reading about a woman who murdered her husband in one of them in the seventies.

Sensible I caught that 56 bus a few times as an apprentice electrician in the 60's I worked on what was then the new sewage disposal on the Chester Rd . I used to love the journey on the 56 taking in the sights backwards and forwards .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy