Author Topic: Hodge Hill  (Read 6882 times)

WAG

Re: Hodge Hill
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 08:11:55 PM »
Did not live in that area as my Gran was there in the 1940s, I was born and bred in the saltley area in 1957, believe me it was much better then compared to what it’s like now.Such a difference and so sad .

castalla

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 08:45:05 AM »
Wag forgot to ask your Grandmothers name was not Mann by any chance ¿, i knew a Mann cant think of his first name, lived in  Erdinghton who used to run the post office in Chipperfield my parents new him, that must of been about 1957 ´s

WAG

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 09:13:13 AM »
My Grandmother’s name was Alice Griffiths, and my grandfather William so I would like to assume the shop would be named as the same but cannot be 100% sure on that.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »
Jack, the barber in Castle Bromwich only knew how to give you a 'short back and sides' or 'something for the weekend sir'? So, in the mid to late 1950s, my mates and I found a gents hairdressers in Ermington Crescent with two young lads who knew all the latest styles like the 'Tony Curtis', crew cut, crop or DA etc.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

SENSIBLE

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 08:37:03 PM »
My aunt lived in Ermington Crescent in the 50's/60's and I often caught the tram from Saltley Gate up to the Fox and Goose and then the bus from the Fox and Goose to Hodgehill Common ( Chipperfield Road). I remember playing with my cousins on the fields where the Bromford Estate is now. Sometimes we would play near the River Tame or on the Pimple Hill in Castle Bromwich.
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

Scipio

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 09:19:54 PM »
My aunt lived in Ermington Crescent in the 50's/60's and I often caught the tram from Saltley Gate up to the Fox and Goose and then the bus from the Fox and Goose to Hodgehill Common ( Chipperfield Road). I remember playing with my cousins on the fields where the Bromford Estate is now. Sometimes we would play near the River Tame or on the Pimple Hill in Castle Bromwich.

Sensible I worked with a chap in the late 60's who I'm sure lived in Chipperfield Rd , I had to go there one Saturday to install a new socket for him. Why it stuck in my mind is, him and his father were keen pigeon fanciers , me and the son were in the garden chatting and he realised that he was late clocking the bird back from the race , I hope they didn't lose a lot .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

GardenGerald

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 09:41:29 PM »
Hodge Hill was a great place to live. I lived in Firs Farm Drive and then Ventnor Avenue.
All the places you mention bring back great memories. One Boxing Day in snow I climbed pimple hill
and waved my arms at the top. It took about five seconds for me to roll all the way down. I
felt a complete idiot.
Gerald.

mike mancott

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 07:55:33 AM »
In the 1950`s my cousin had a paper round. The newsagent was in Ermington Crescent (or was it in Chipperfield?).
When he went on holiday I did his round for him. Ermington Crescent, Millington Road, Oakdale road.
On Sunday the bag was so heavy for a stripling fifteen-year old (but I won awards in swimming and athletics) and so many papers, that two trips had to be made.
In the back of the shop where the rounds where assembled there were many hundreds, maybe thousands, of newspapers being piled up into the rounds.
Almost nobody had a telly, and newspapers, and radio, is where you got info and news.

castalla

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 08:09:42 AM »
 I lived in Millinghton Road, I to played on Pimple Hill, think all us kids did used to get to it off the old country road (all up hill) from Newport Road, don't think you can get to it now since the Collector road opened. Or we used to walk down Rectory Lane where the Big posh houses as we called them, then down a lane we called Lovers lane and play in the fields there, O happy times kids these days don't realise what they missed.

Then sometimes used to cycle from home through Castle Vale , Park Lane passed the smelly severn trent plant in to Water Orton. play in the park there then cycle pass Park Hall school Castle Brom Village, Lady Bradfords then home for Lunch, All with out a GPS as well great times

SENSIBLE

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2021, 08:31:20 AM »
I learnt to drive on the disused Castle Bromwich Aerodrome site before it became the Castle Vale housing estate.
Lots of memories of Castle Bromwich. The no 56 bus used to terminate and turn at the small layby opposite the Clock Garage. There was a Bundy clock there that the drivers had to turn a key in to register before setting off on their next journey to town. They used to call it 'pegging the clock'.

The Hunters Moon opposite Hodge Hill Common was a pub that I used to frequent as a teenager. Had some good nights there when they had the disco's on.  The road between Hodge Hill and the Fox and Goose always seemed a bit up market to me with it's lovely big houses. I remember reading about a woman who murdered her husband in one of them in the seventies.
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

castalla

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 09:20:49 AM »
Yes all the Big houses to the Fox i thought were  for the rich,Apparantlly Reg Watson the TV Director /Maker used to live in a house facing the Little commom at the top, and Gil Merrick lived on Stechford road by Hunters. Saying that my mom cleaned for Geoff Vowden Birmingham city player he used  to live at 2 Collingbourne avenue, as well as players Malcom Beard, Gary Page used to live in Standlake and Twyford road,and the Move pop group lived on Bromford road,  yes the 56 was the end of the Boundary, if you wanted to go further it was on a Midland Red, that were expensive fares.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy