Author Topic: the Birmingham Planet Newspaper  (Read 9442 times)

Kerry-ann89

the Birmingham Planet Newspaper
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
Hi all.

My dad was in the Royal Signals and whilst in Bahrain, in the Persian gulf, he had a photo taken holding the newspaper with his fellow comrades as he is a born and bred Brummie.

Does anyone remember this paper?

Id like to find a copy of the newspaper to which the photo was submitted,  around the early 60s.

Does anyone know where I can find further info and if there is an archive for the paper?

I have attached the photo my dad is on the right.

Thanks in advance, Kerry

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the Birmingham Planet Newspaper
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »
Wasn't The Birmingham Planet a short lived Birmingham newspaper that was one of the first to carry colour photos and wasn't it also something to do with the politician Woodrow Wyatt, I think he may have been the owner.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Kerry-ann89

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »
I dont know hence my post  :) would love to find more info and maybe the actual article with my father.

PerryBarrLad

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
Hi, I'm a little late with this posting having just seen the query about the Birmingham Planet newspaper. It is right, it was Britain's first weekly newspaper pinted in colour at Woodrow Wyatt's plant in Banbury.
I worked in Circulation dept at Planet with Rob Nevett who when the Planet closed down went to Peterborough Evening News as Circ. Manager while I joined the Daily Express in South Wales. After climbing the greasy pole of management I eventually met up with Rob when he was Circulation Director of the the London Evening Standard. The last I heard he was CD of the Scotsman.
At the Planet I spent time with Maurice Vincent and Graham Cooper and fond memories. Mike Guy was the editor.

PerryBarrLad

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »
Just in case of anyone remembering, I am Mike Latham, and I have a picture of the Planet vans in Newhall Street which was the office of the Planet.

John_Lerwill

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
Hi all.

My dad was in the Royal Signals and whilst in Bahrain, in the Persian gulf, he had a photo taken holding the newspaper with his fellow comrades as he is a born and bred Brummie.

Does anyone remember this paper?

Id like to find a copy of the newspaper to which the photo was submitted,  around the early 60s.

Does anyone know where I can find further info and if there is an archive for the paper?

I have attached the photo my dad is on the right.

Thanks in advance, Kerry

Yep, I knew someone working on the paper in the 1960s - I think the paper closed down about '68 or '69.

There is an archive for the paper at the Birmingham Central Library archives: http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/archives
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

Mary8790

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
I remember buying the Birmingham Planet because it had a large colour picture of the Beatles on the front.
Interesting fact for John Lerwill who left a message on this topic, the 1911 census shows your family were next door neighbour's of my family in Coldbath Road.

mikeguy1

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »
Reference enquiries Birmingham Planet newspaper. I was the launch editor of the paper in September 1963. It was part of Woodrow Wyatt's ambition to set up a chain of full colour newspapers across the country. He was, in fact, the pioneer of web offset printing, which allowed newspapers to print colour on the run - previously they had to be pre-printed and his first newspaper to do this was the Banbury Guardian in March 1962. He later bought the Marlborough Times from which base we launched the Swindon Echo, and later the Wiltshire Echo. We started the Coventry Express in September 1962 and he later acquired the Wallingford News and the Teesside Star. It all went wrong when his wife, Lady Moorea Wyatt, who had been bankrolling him, filed for a divorce and Woodrow had to sell off his papers to pay her the money she had invested with interest. I left him in February, 1967 and he continued with his contract printing business until that also ran into difficulties and folded. During the time we published the Planet we did a lot of coverage of stories about service personnel and I sent reporters and photographers to cover trouble spots in Cyprus and other Med countries - and I know a lot of families sent copies of the paper to their sons serving abroad. Sorry for delay in replying - have just seen the issues raised.  Frpm Michael Guy

Steve

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »
Does the National Archives keep newspapers?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

mikejee

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 10:41:34 PM »
No, but the British library do. They should have the Planet somewhere, but it is not one of those online, and so you would have to visit the library either in london or Boston Spa, but probably also have to give notice of what you want tosee to make sure it is available to you

Steve

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
No, but the British library do. They should have the Planet somewhere, but it is not one of those online, and so you would have to visit the library either in london or Boston Spa, but probably also have to give notice of what you want tosee to make sure it is available to you
Thanks MJ. O0
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy