Author Topic: Gas Street Basin - old photographs  (Read 22788 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Gas Street Basin - old photographs
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 01:59:41 PM »
A couple more earlier Aerial photographs of the same area, the quality might not be great but I suppose it's the age.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 09:36:20 PM »
Here's my City pic again with IDs, if any are wrong please let me know - great if anyone can help with the "?s".
Peg.
P.S. After this pic was taken: If I've got the story right, The James Brindley got built, operated for awhile, closed, fell derelect and was redeveloped again.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 10:01:35 PM »
I'm only guessing but.

5 Lloyd House
11 old ATV studios
13 old Registry Office
Cambridge House.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »
Late 60s one of my favourite nightspots was in Gas St - The Factory Nightclub. It was very intimate, probably no more than 2 or 3 terraced houses originally, it had a unique feature follow the link  below to check it out on the nightclub thread.
Peg.
 http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=466.msg663740#msg663740

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »
Three early images of Gas Street itself, the first one being Gas Retort House which I believe is now a church after recently being saved from Demolition and renovated. Gas Street was the site of Birmingham's first gas works specifically built to power the cities gas lighting.

The second image shows the street in the mid 1950's and the last one shows an iconic Gas St sign painted I believe by one of our members, I'm sure I remember him saying that it was one of his signs.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
Three early images of Gas Street itself, the first one being Gas Retort House which I believe is now a church after recently being saved from Demolition and renovated. Gas Street was the site f Birmingham's first gas works specifically built to power the cities gas lighting.
Thanks Phil, I've always wondered how the street got it's name.
Peg.

JudithM

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 01:29:54 PM »
Here's my City pic again with IDs, if any are wrong please let me know - great if anyone can help with the "?s".
Peg.
P.S. After this pic was taken: If I've got the story right, The James Brindley got built, operated for awhile, closed, fell derelect and was redeveloped again.

12 is the old Municipal Bank building, as Phil pointed out 13 is the old Registry Office.

20 is a residential tower block, I don't know the name but I get off the bus near it in the morning so if you are desperate to find out I can have a look for you  ;D

14 is now The Canal House (James Brindley).  It's doing well after the renovation. http://thecanalhouse.uk.com/tour  As far as I know, the main reason it was closed & left to decay was that there were issues with the curved glass roof & it was a very costly repair.  The building now has a more standard pitched roof, which I think looks a lot better than the previous incarnation did.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »
Judith

Yes number 12 is the old bank, I hadn't noticed that error. Number 20 is Cambridge House being the tower block on the end  of a line (or beginning ) of four just off Cambridge Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 04:15:26 PM »
Thanks folks, I'll revise the pic and re-post. O0
Peg.

Scipio

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 09:33:41 PM »
Peg.

Peg no 20 I'm sure that's Cambridge Tower I used to live there 14th floor 1968-70 I got married in 1970 and moved out
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:30 PM »

Peg no 20 I'm sure that's Cambridge Tower I used to live there 14th floor 1968-70 I got married in 1970 and moved out

Thanks Sci - must have been a spectacular view from your flat O0
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy