Author Topic: Gas Street Basin - old photographs  (Read 22773 times)

JudithM

Re: Gas Street Basin - old photographs
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 12:36:57 PM »
Peg

As far as I am aware, Lloyd House is still standing, the Post & Mail building as far as I am aware was demolished in 2005.
Lloyd House is indeed still standing.

It's possible that the building could be neither, as I'd have thought if it were either Lloyd House or the Post & Mail building you would be able to see the both of them as they were so close to each other.  Could Alpha Tower be obscuring them & instead it's the tall tower part of the Royal Angus Hotel, just across from St Chad's?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Peg Monkey

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 01:43:56 PM »
Here's a blow up of the elusive tower block - I tried to blow it up more but the image quality just gets worse and no help at all - not sure it helps much, there appears to be a large sign just below rooftop level. Lloyd house as I recall was/is a very broad building.
Peg.
P.S. We need to bear in mind the shot was taken 1975. 
P.P.S. You can now see the Chamberlain Memorial better.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Scipio

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2019, 09:55:18 PM »
Here's a blow up of the elusive tower block - I tried to blow it up more but the image quality just gets worse and no help at all - not sure it helps much, there appears to be a large sign just below rooftop level. Lloyd house as I recall was/is a very broad building.
Peg.
P.S. We need to bear in mind the shot was taken 1975. 
P.P.S. You can now see the Chamberlain Memorial better.

Peg are you sure this pic is 1975 , as the post and mail was completed and operational by 1966 , I started work as an apprentice with an electrical contractor 31/08/64 I worked on the P&M for nearly three years , and to be honest looking at this pic it should have been visible slightly to the right of Lloyd House , as Phil says the P&M came down in 2005, forty years almost seems funny , when you think how long they must have been in Cannon St
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »

Peg are you sure this pic is 1975 , as the post and mail was completed and operational by 1966 , I started work as an apprentice with an electrical contractor 31/08/64 I worked on the P&M for nearly three years , and to be honest looking at this pic it should have been visible slightly to the right of Lloyd House , as Phil says the P&M came down in 2005, forty years almost seems funny , when you think how long they must have been in Cannon St
Hi Scipio, I'll double check and get back to you. :-\
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2019, 11:52:51 PM »
Hi Scipio, I'll double check and get back to you. :-\
Peg.
Hi Sci, I've checked to ensure I had transcribed the date correctly from my source document and I'm as sure as I can be 1975 is correct (I'm pretty sure the photographer dated the pic.) having said that in a world where we can be certain of only 2 things (death and taxes) without a cross-check I can't be 100% sure.
I've checked the pic again and definition has been compromised by the Forum's very limiting 80kb per image. My daughter is an absolute whiz on CAD (she trains users who are already experts to a higher level) so I'm going to see if there is anyway the original image can be enhanced - watch this space!  :-\
Peg.
P.S. I think her rate is about £200 per hour, but we can't worry about cost at a time like this can we?! :-[

Scipio

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 12:23:37 AM »
Hi Sci, I've checked to ensure I had transcribed the date correctly from my source document and I'm as sure as I can be 1975 is correct (I'm pretty sure the photographer dated the pic.) having said that in a world where we can be certain of only 2 things (death and taxes) without a cross-check I can't be 100% sure.
I've checked the pic again and definition has been compromised by the Forum's very limiting 80kb per image. My daughter is an absolute whiz on CAD (she trains users who are already experts to a higher level) so I'm going to see if there is anyway the original image can be enhanced - watch this space!  :-\
Peg.
P.S. I think her rate is about £200 per hour, but we can't worry about cost at a time like this can we?! :-[

Well Peg the P&M would have been producing papers there for about 8/9 years and they were there for 40 yrs so your guess is as good as mine
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

JudithM

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Peg Monkey

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »
I'm still thinking it might be this -

Hi Judy, your hardwork has paid off - as far as I'm concerned you've nailed it. It appears what I thought was some kind of sign is the framed open rooftop of The Royal Angus. Well done!
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »
I'll issue an updated version of the 1975 city scape with IDs shortly.
Peg.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2019, 11:46:01 PM »
In this photo taken in the same year as the Gas Street Basin photo 1975 in the lower right hand quadrant there are three buildings the Post & Mail building, Lloyd House, and the one that has been settled on last on the right Kennedy Tower, which is now the Holiday Inn Express Hotel Snow Hill Plaza.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 11:54:09 AM »
In this photo taken in the same year as the Gas Street Basin photo 1975 in the lower right hand quadrant there are three buildings the Post & Mail building, Lloyd House, and the one that has been settled on last on the right Kennedy Tower, which is now the Holiday Inn Express Hotel Snow Hill Plaza.
Good work, Phil, you share the honours with Judy, now, here's the thing - having established that the elusive tower block was Kennedy Tower in 1975, it rules out "7" as the Dental School - it must be Lloyd House. What do you think?
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy