Author Topic: ingleby street,birmingham  (Read 8655 times)

Chris Coleman

Re: ingleby street,birmingham
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »
Hi Jim,

yes I can remember the singing from the Ingleby we were opposite just a bit up the hill, and the rag&bone man with his horse and cart he seemed to stop at the Ingleby every day for a liquid lunch;

Then there was the lady who lived at the bottom of your entry - I think Mrs Goddard, she used to take bets on the horses - probably a bookies runner.

Bomb Sites, yes that was it lots of fun, heath and safety - that's a joke .. 

In fact I had my first sexual encounter on a Bomb Site - Teresa Smith showed me her 'Belly Button' and explained that was where babies came out, which led to various problems in later life  ??? .

You know there's one thing you might be able to help me with - At the bottom of Ingleby Street on the left  was a little shop we called 'Peacocks' but others have said there was a pub right opposite 'Peacocks' called The Swan, I just cannot remember that, do you recollect 2 pubs in Ingleby street ? 

I was their from birth 1950 to 1963 when we moved to Tamworth.

Thanks - Chris.

O0 

Vulcan

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 09:59:30 PM »
Hi Chris

Don't remember Mrs Goddard but to be honest I cant remember any names from that time.
We used to go with a sack and pick up the horse crap from the street for the garden.

I remember the shop you mentioned, the lady who ran it sold second-hand kids clothing amongst other things and extended credit to some customers, mom used to send me to make payments, she was a very nice person.

I vaguely remember a pub around the corner on the right at the bottom of the street.

At the top of the street was a dance hall on the left which was knocked down and became a major play area.

We moved to Kings Heath and discovered trees, we guessed we were going somewhere exotic when we found we would be living on Pineapple Road.

cheers

Jim

Annyjones

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2022, 05:55:54 PM »
I lived at 4 back of 27 Ingleby st . My grandparents lived in the same yard. I was born in 1955 and left to move into a house in New Spring St in the early 1960’s the yard was next door to the I
Ingleby Arms.

Scipio

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2022, 06:24:25 PM »
I seen the name Anny Jones I thought the tennis player , Welcome to the forum enjoy your stay
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2022, 06:58:40 PM »
hi ann welcome to the forum enjoy  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

cherub

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2022, 06:51:38 PM »
Hi Magician

Sorry I must have missed this request for help, first of all welcome to the forum, Sometimes it will go a long time before you get an answer to this sort of question. One day someone will be cruising through Google looking for memories of Ingleby St and they will come across your post so they will contact the forum and you never know it could be one of your childhood mates that you used to play in your back court with.

I have no personal knowledge of Ingleby St other than it is gone now and no trace whatsoever of it remains. I have been able to work out the court that you lived in was 3 Court as you can see on the attached section of map. I've also attached the only two photos I have of Ingleby that I have they are both of the White Swan.

I hope this has been of some help to you and at least you know you are not being ignored.

cherub

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2022, 07:35:31 PM »
Hi I read your post my grandmother lived at 2/7 Ingleby street I used to stay with her every weekend and school holidays there was a family named smith who lived in the same yard as my nan which was not the first entry next to the white swan but the next one up and their house was right opposite the toilets and brew houses think the old lady that lived in the corner house was Mrs brettle my friend linda and me use to take her accumulater too the bike shop in momument road for charging if i am right your dad was he man who came to our house in great colmore street to tell us that my grandmother house had been broken into there was also a family name jones who lived in the same yard I know one was called margaret and the other they called jewel not sure if that was here real name suppose it could have been julie my grandmother was maggie beards and the house joined to hers that was in ingleby street no 7 her daughter edna married name pickering lived there with harry her husband and janet and joan their daughters my grandmother also had two sons charles and john my dad I know there was a family that lived in the yard behind the pub but think they had a lot more children I remember the family that ran the pub had little girl was scalded or burnt i went in there with my friend linda and i had on a blue overall with a white coller as i had jut stated working at a chemist when the little girl saw me she sarted screeming her mom said to her I looked like a nurse had many happy times there used to love the shops on spring hill and the library  used to go ice skating and sunday school at the church in monument road and after they knocked the palais de danse down that was later owned by bulpits for storing swan goods we used to build our bonfire on the land

carolkorkin

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2023, 09:20:59 AM »
Hi - yes I lived in Ingleby Street from 1950 until about 1962 or 1963, The school you're thinking of was The  Steward Street primary and as you guessed was at the bottom of the hill in Spring Hill Passage - I think the shop on the corner was called Peacocks.

I knew a family called Smith but they lived further up the Hill from me, but apart from that the description is about correct, there father who was very friendly with mine was a photographer, I seem to remember the daughters name was Teresa ?

I lived almost opposite the pub, just up the hill a bit?

Chris Coleman.

carolkorkin

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2023, 09:29:36 AM »
Hello Chris Coleman  :)
Have just spotted your reply about Ingleby St..... How are you and where are you now ? ::)

Warm Regards,
Carol Foster x

Mark6588

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2023, 09:33:57 AM »
Hi I am new to this site and forums.
Just a quick question my father and grandparents were from this area you mentioned.
Do you remember any one with the surname of Thrupp???
Thank you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy