Author Topic: Larches passage from Highgate rd end.  (Read 8295 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Larches passage from Highgate rd end.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »
Noni

You are talking about the Warwick a pub I used on occasion but not very often. As kids after they built the maisonettes on the bombsite that we used to play on and use as a short cut to Long Street we used the corridor that ran through the pub as a short cut.

My nan and uncles moved into the maisonettes when the house in Larches St was demolished, my Aunt moved into the maisonette next door from her shop in Highgate Rd and one of my uncles moved into the house next to the Warwick back entrance in Larches St.

What families did you know from Larches Passage, the ones I can remember were the Couples family and the Bullock family.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

noni

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 03:50:36 PM »
The only family I remember were the ones who lived a couple of doors up from us nearer Larches passage, we played with their children.  They shared the big yard I referred to.  I went to Christchurch primary and my best friend was Lesley Jones who lived (I think) in Larches avenue.  We both went to the same dance school in a school on Stratford Rd in Sparkhill, I think it was near a park.

The posts that are on this thread and on the Birmingham History Forum are bringing a lot of memories back to me. 

My nan was a clippie on the buses going along the Stratford Rd, she was based at the Highgate St Garage and was the union rep at one time.  She lived in Kyrwicks Lane.

Do you remember a church on fire.  I remember standing outside where we lived at the top of Larches st and we could see the flames going through the roof.  I think it was St Agnes Church but could be wrong.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 04:08:02 PM »
Noni

I don't think there was a Larches Avenue, well not that I knew of. There were some terraces at the bottom end of Larches Street. but none of them were called Larches Avenue.

There was a family that lived a few doors up from us called Jones that had several children and a couple of them were girls, the older children of the family would be in their mid to late sixties now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

noni

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 04:38:15 PM »
She lived in one of the terraces at the bottom of larches street. 

Incidentally I lost contact with her about 1969.  Her dad had died, she and her mum came to visit us just the, we had moved to Weoley Castle by then.  I never saw her again until my unions conference a few years ago, I sat down next to this woman who said, that sounds like a Brummie, I said I used to live in Sparkbrook, she said, `so did I' that is when I realised who it was.  (some 50 years later we meet again).  She lives in Plymouth now.

Apparently just after coming to see us in Weoley Castle her mum died and her brother came over from Malaysia and took Lesley back with him, that is why we lost contact. Perhaps it is the same family.

cocacolakid

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 12:52:25 PM »
No we were on the opposite corner.  The shop in the picture is the one with the white painted brickwork.

Noni...

If your place was on the opposite corner to the pub in Larches St, it would have been on the corner Kyrwicks Lane and Larches St.  This being so means that the shop you lived behind and above would not have been one of those shown in the photo on the forum.  The Highate Rd, Kyyrwiks Lane, Larches St junction is way out of sight to the left of the picture. I hope you don't think I am being pedantic, I am just trying to help you find the the correct shop you were hoping
to see. From what I glean from your previous post's, the photo of shops etc, either side of Larches Passage would not be what you are looking for.

Phil...

I did not know the couples family (Mr & Mrs) but I did know their gorgeous daughters, Dianne & Carol ::) ::)   O0

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 01:35:45 PM »
Noni

Lets see if we can sort this out, in the sixties there were 4 premises between Larches Passage and Turner Street numbers 93 to 99. It went Larches Passage, No 93 KEM Electrics, No 95 Private House, No 97 A M Abdulla Grocer, No 99 Private House.

The next empty shop on the photo was actually in Turner Street and if I remember correctly wasn't that something to do with cars at one time, which one of these was where you lived?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

noni

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »
Noni

Lets see if we can sort this out, in the sixties there were 4 premises between Larches Passage and Turner Street numbers 93 to 99. It went Larches Passage, No 93 KEM Electrics, No 95 Private House, No 97 A M Abdulla Grocer, No 99 Private House.

The next empty shop on the photo was actually in Turner Street and if I remember correctly wasn't that something to do with cars at one time, which one of these was where you lived?

You might be right. My dad is still alive I can ask if he will tell me what our address was in Highgate Road.

noni

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 03:05:19 PM »
You might be right. My dad is still alive I can ask if he will tell me what our address was in Highgate Road.

I asked my dad, we lived at 99 Highgate Road and it was the shop in the middle of the picture.  So I am puzzled as to the numbering?  Could the last house be 101?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »
noni

According to the trade directory's the numbers from Larches Passage to Turner Street ran from 97 to 99 the last one before Turner Street was the blue & white one on the extreme right. Though that I have to sat that all the four premises you see on Mikes photos were shops at one time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Suemos

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 08:12:48 PM »
Hi I lived in the masionettes  moved from further down the road on the other side i lived in the street between 1965 - 1970 with my mom and step dad pat Moseley and Gordon wilson. Both my brother's were born in the back to back househs at the bottom of the road.  We had aa als[size=78%]lation  dog called Peggy and if she ever got loose she would sit under the table in the pub waiting for my mom to come and fetch her. Happy memories i am 59 now so a long time ago .[/size]

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 08:50:07 AM »
Hi Suemos

Which Maisonette did you live in, because from the early 70's my grandmother and two of my uncles lived in the one ground floor one, and my aunt lived in the other ground floor one next door. They all lived in Larches Street all their lives except my grandmother and grandfather who were born elsewhere. They moved into the maisonettes when the house they lived in over the road was demolished. I lived with them myself on and off from the 50's up to when I got married.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy