Author Topic: Sir Wilfrid Martineau School  (Read 9554 times)

gary_m_walton

Sir Wilfrid Martineau School
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »
Hi, I recently made a trip over to my old school and was horrified to find that it was effectively boarded up :( Even worse, upper school was no longer there. I was gutted to say the least. I decided I needed to document Lower school before it also disappeared. So, after a lot of effort, I managed to gain access to the school and took nearly 100 photos of all aspects of Lower school for posterity. I didn't want a repeat of Tile Cross Primary - where I took the last known photo's - but should really taken way more than I did. Big regret. So I took *loads* of photo's. Anyway, I have posted some of them onto another well known site but really would like to post them here, also, since this is the best repository for old Brum and really belongs here.
Therefore, would anyone have any objections if I posted them to this site? I don't want to tread on anyone's toes.
Kind Regards

Gary

Now, where did I put my time machine ....

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Sir Wilfrid Martineau School
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
Garry

I see no reason why you should not post your photos to this forum, as long as you read and agree to the rules governing the uploading of photos to this site and you understand the upload limits of the site. If you need any further information then just message our administrator Chris.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
Thanks, Phil. Appreciated. I took them in quite hi-res so I may hit your limits! I'll check it out.
Kind Regards

Gary

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

PeakyBlinder

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 12:14:22 AM »
Does anyone know if Gary was able to share the photos from Sir Willfred Martineau School, please?

I've tried searching the site but there's no pictures of the school.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »
hi peaky  welcome to the forum 

I can get more photos if needed

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

mike mancott

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 09:58:56 AM »
Does anyone know if Gary was able to share the photos from Sir Willfred Martineau School, please?

I've tried searching the site but there's no pictures of the school.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi, Peaky, it`s a shame that Martineau Street was removed from the City`s streets, as the Martineau`s were so prominent in holding the office of mayor.
Robert, Thomas, Ernest, Wilfred and Denis, father to son.
Sorry it`s not an answer re pictures, but others will help.
Mike

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
and if at any time you was in there brass band you might see your self on this video

https://youtu.be/dOOb0c-WHgs
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

PeakyBlinder

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 11:06:32 PM »
Thank you, Roy and Mike.

I was a pupil at Sir Wilfred Martineau, and so was my brother.

A couple of years ago I went to the nearby BSA office and afterwards went for a walk to my old school. It was heartbreaking to see the upper school campus (in the photograph above) demolished and further down the lane I noticed the lower school campus was fenced off and boarded up.

I've tried searching online for pictures of either of the campuses but apart from the photo above, the brass band video, and a couple of photos of Jasper Carrot with Sir Wilfred Martineau pupils in 1991 when he went to collect a cheque for Children in Need, there's no other pictures.

When I read the post about pictures of the lower school campus mentioned in this thread I got excited and joined the forum in the hope of maybe seeing some photos.

I have some amazing memories of my time at the school.

I noticed the school that stood next door to Sir Wilfred Martineau is still there. Byng Kenrick School is now the Tile Cross Academy.

Once again, thank you for your responses above.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 11:43:19 AM »
Hi PeakyBlinder and apologies for not replying sooner.
Yes, I took a number of photos on 5/5/2014, 17/05/2014 and 28/09/2014. For the latter, I had to get permission from the caretaker so he suggested I fill in an application form to be able to look around.  I took in the order of 100 photos of most areas of the school over these visits. I had to say it was a most upsetting experience. Being in lower school from around 1970 (????) to leaving in 1978 (ish) it bought back many memories and it saddened me to see such a wonderful school (at least compared to today) looking in such a state. Anyway, I walked around the school and took loads of the outside, and as many of the corridors and classrooms as I could. Because people were living there, I did not have access to all of the areas, sadly. I got the upstairs (and the stairs), the main hall. On the 17th I got what was left of the upper school. Again, really upsetting and it still upsets me now looking over them.  [/size]I also took some videos.[/size][size=78%] I will review them and most likely link to a Google drive if that is acceptable. I would like the quality to be the best available. Hope this helps. PS Did I know you?[/size]

PeakyBlinder

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 03:43:27 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply, Gary.

I was at Sir Wilfred Martineau from around 1982-86, in the 6th Form at the Upper School, but I also had lessons at the Lower School in the Science labs, History class rooms, and the outside complex where typewriters were kept for the Commerce classes.

I went back to the school some years ago when I went to photograph the BSA offices near the Mackadown.

I was deeply saddened to see the Upper School totally demolished, and the Lower School was fenced off. Not sure it its been demolished now.

I had a brilliant time at the school, with lots of memories. My brother was also a pupils there during the 1980s.

I'm really looking forward to your photos.

Thank you so much for your kindness in sharing them. Let me know where and when you post them.

My name's Rango, and I've always lived in Birmingham. I love this city and get homesick when I go on holiday!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy