Author Topic: Duddeston Mill Road 1960s  (Read 2858 times)

Wonderhorseuk

Re: Duddeston Mill Road 1960s
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 12:30:58 PM »
Yeah. Unfortunately it's all warehouses and units now. I often wonder if they found the buried car when they was building them.

Ha! That would have impressed them! 🙂

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 01:35:42 PM »
Dave57b. Tap Wonder horses name on the screen. It will come up  personal messages tap on send message. Good luck. I lived in INKERMAN St til 49
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Dave57b

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 03:28:24 PM »
Thanks Edmund. Thanks very much for the info.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 05:35:29 PM »
We all try to help on the forum.

Wonderhorseuk

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 01:15:19 PM »
Dint know how to message direct unfortunately

Have sent you a pm that should help. Just reply to that... look in your messages inbox on your profile for here. Hope.that works. Les

Wonderhorseuk

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 10:14:34 PM »
Your right. It was a old sunbeam someone had given my dad but it was no good. I also remember your dad working on a car in a shed when a wall fell on it. The people  who lived in front of your house was the Brennans.I think your father, Mike Brennan and my dad all drank together in the Vic. I also remember Myra Brennan, Your mom and my mom all standing outside our house making sure we got home from school safely

Hi Dave

Do you know if any of those peeps we knew back then are still with us on this mortal world? Life was fun there, and we never really knew it at the time... especially climbing down to the river rea below the road.

Les

GardenGerald

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 10:49:27 PM »
What are Peeps .
Ed is alive, I am alive. same with Donald Bywater, Peter Bywater, John Crowe, Patti Crowe, Peter O'OCarrol Bernard O'Ocarrol. The people from the clothes shop corner Devon Street and Duddeston Mill Road. Allan Rosser and I am sure their are more of us golden Oldies. We all got
some where in life.
Ed cane if you forget, Helmet, Gas Mask and I.D Card. Hows your Uncle Crisp.
Take care..Gerald.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 11:31:02 PM »
HI  Gerald we have survived don't know how but we have .My cousin Brian (R T P Crisps ) is still alive and still a Millionaire >:( >:(

GardenGerald

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2021, 09:07:13 PM »
Hello
Who walked up the River Rea and went into Saltley Gasworks to play on the shunting engines. Who went across the wooden bridge to Crawford Street, gasworks. Who remembers the cooling tower in Duddeston Mill Road. Who remembers Saltley Docks. Who remembers walking to
Castle Bromwich Hall to get BlueBells for our Moms.
Lets hear from you all or did us older blokes venture more in daytime but never out at night. Slept in the Air Raid shelter. After a bombing raid
that destroyed everything in the middle between Cathcart Street and Alma Crescent a young man went beserk and going to kill everyone
so his Mother killed him. They buried him in rubble and classified him as war dead. Times were very tough but we made the best of them.
Gerald.

GardenGerald

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 09:28:14 PM »
Hello all you good Duddeston Mill customers.
How many of you have seen the canal being dredged for bodies. Very say a young boy fell in and was drowned.
Great raceway on the Moke from Devon Street to the railway bridge. Lots of good memories about Adderley park and one very sad one.
The end of the Sons of Rest. I had to get rid of the big shed and relay the park grounds. The shed was left as it was at the end of the last
meetings. Cups, saucers, spoons and everything else. All the bookwork from when it began. How they collected for a Christmas party.
I started the new project  THE WHEELS where Nigel Mansel learned to drive at the same time.
Lets see some replies
Gerald.

Wonderhorseuk

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 04:08:59 PM »
Your right. It was a old sunbeam someone had given my dad but it was no good. I also remember your dad working on a car in a shed when a wall fell on it. The people  who lived in front of your house was the Brennans.I think your father, Mike Brennan and my dad all drank together in the Vic. I also remember Myra Brennan, Your mom and my mom all standing outside our house making sure we got home from school safely

The old stripped car bodies that were left around the communal yard... One of my clear memories involved that. Back in the late 60s, myself and a pal (can't remember who now) were out by the road through the archway - throwing small sods of turf at passing cars (as you do/did of course)... then a plain VW Beetle suddenly stops, so we run... only to be pursued by two burly policemen. Cue run into the yard and hide, thinking "safe here". Upon being quickly found by the big sergeant - I remember getting a clip around the ear, then carried by the scruff of the neck to our door, and when my father answered he got asked "Is this yours?". Cue a hiding from my father also - deservedly so in the circumstances.

Oh they were the days  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy