Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 43982 times)

Keyworker48

Harry Lucas School
« on: March 04, 2015, 03:07:55 PM »
Does anyone have any photos of Harry Lucas School please.

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »
I was fortunate duirng my 2nd and 4th year at HLS to be offered a place at Bockleton Camp School, Tenbury Wells, Worcs. The building at that time was owned by the City Education Dept and provided extended residential accommodation to study history and agriculture. I had a great time, each period of stay lasted 4 weeks. The house was a mansion set in fantastic woodland grounds and really was an experience not to be missed. Mr Watson joined us as supervising teacher on both occasions.
I checked a while ago and now the building is a medical centre.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Keyworker48

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 06:00:21 AM »
Thanks for the information Peg monkey I was there from 59 to 63. I remember the headmaster Mr Walker his deputy Mrs Cadman. Mr Williams was my first teacher, Mr Watson I think taught possibly geography and sport. Mr Fleming was the woodwork teacher. Mr Jones art, Mr Hands Science. I remember going to Grove Lane swimming baths. My name was Tony Randall.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »
Hi Tony, it was good to hear those names again, here's a few more I remember: Mr Figures (Maths!), Miss Gossmore (English), Mr Wiiliams (Geography), Mr Blenckinsop (French), others whose specialty escapes me: Mr Thomas and, of course, the delectable Miss Chivvers. There was also another very glamorous young femail teacher whose name I can't bring to mind: 5-10 in heels, slim size 8, long blonde hair, attitude - other than that I can't remember much about her.
Peg.   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 09:56:44 PM »
HEL P!
I've lost the facility to edit previous posts, is it just me or a widespread problem?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:06:42 PM »
Fact: The 1st A Company, The Boys' Brigade, the oldest Company in Birmingham, was originally based at Harry Lucas School, I'm guessing it was linked to St Saviours Church in Villa St (opposite Farm St School), anyone able to confirm/correct?
The company is now based at The Peoples' Chapel, Gt King St.
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:32:45 PM »
You should have tried cycling did many miles at different YHA all round Derbyshire
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 10:37:22 AM »
That would have been too easy, Ed. Real Youth Hostelling is all about coping with numerous blisters and struggling with a back pack at least twice your body weight, so that if you fall forward wearing it you are pinned helplessly to the ground. (Actually, thinking about it, falling backward is just as bad, you end up like a flipped turtle).
That trip was the start of me adopting the ways of the Samurai, believing only total self-denial is the true path to righteousness(?!!).
Peg.
P.S. Maybe I'm making too light of your challenge, was there a risk of blisters in the saddle area?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 11:37:21 PM »
Do the kids of today know about woodwork or metalwork we learned such a lot in our youth unlike today's school children.We even keep Pigs at our school over 12 months even gardening

Peg Monkey

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »
Couldn't agree more, Ed; we seem to be failing in our obligations to pass skills on to future generations, who was it that said we are becoming a nation of shopkeepers?
Peg.
P.S. How does the spel chuck werk? I click on the button but nothing happens.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »
Mine works fine

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy