Author Topic: Martineau House, Bognor Regis - update  (Read 4195 times)

stickman

Martineau House, Bognor Regis - update
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:07:28 PM »
This topic follows on from my last posting - "Does anyone remember Martineau House, Bognor Regis" . 

I received a book that I ordered from Amazon today - "Bognor Regis - A Pictorial History".  It has a photograph of Martineau House and mentions that it was home to the Stocker family for many years.

sheppy

Re: Martineau House, Bognor Regis - update
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »
This topic follows on from my last posting - "Does anyone remember Martineau House, Bognor Regis" . 

I received a book that I ordered from Amazon today - "Bognor Regis - A Pictorial History".  It has a photograph of Martineau House and mentions that it was home to the Stocker family for many years.
many years  I went to Martineau house with a group of children from Brays school in Sheldon.the house was left in trust for the childen of Birmingham to have a holiday.It was a wonderful house with its own private beach.it was used for many years until the big boys of the Birmingham council decided it was not a suitable or safe place for children.and got it closed.I believe they sold it.I'm not sure who bought it or what happened to it,I know lots of children with special needs had some wonderful holidays there,and Iam sure many staff in special schools were very angry and upset when it closed.
REGARDS
SHEPPY

stickman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »
The house was sold and it was demolished in the 1990's.  On the site now stands the Pavillions Estate.  I remember talking to someone called Nikinakinoonoo on the forum.  They said that they were still in touch with the Steed family (the people who were ran the house after Mr Tice retired in 1983) and knew their daughter quite well.  It would be great if Nikinakinoonoo got in touch with me again.  Can you help me at all Sheppy?

sheppy

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:22:03 PM »
HI stickman
I remember Mr and Mrs Steed, they looked after the house and everyone who stayed there they were a lovely family.I dont know the other person.I am not surprised the house was knocked down,Birmingham council must have made a killing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

bonnyfrombrum

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 02:19:51 AM »
hi there. I went to Martineau Hosuse, twice with my class in the 70's, such a fantastic place, we all loved it there. I didn't know it was demolished, I can't believe that. What a shame. I do have a photo of it though. here is the photo of Martineau House, taken by Mr. Tyerse, i think his name was, not sure if i spelled his name correctly. But the photo was taken from a helicopter, about 1973.

stickman

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »
Hi bonnyfrombrum

Do you have any more information on Martineau House?  In the 70's, the Housemaster was Mr. Tice, who I think retired in 1982/3? and Mr and Mrs Steed took over.  I'm still interested. 

Bogieman

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 02:21:21 PM »
Hi there my Dad went to uffcolme open air school Birmingham from 1957/8 to 1963/4.
He went to Martineau house during 1963.
Dad remembers that you were only allowed 4 pieces of Izal paper for calls of nature and running along the pier and into the sea.
The teacher they went with was Mr Green.
Any pictures at all please post as we love blasting down memory lane.
Thank you

Shallo

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 08:35:32 AM »

I was a pupil at Brays School and went to Martineau House a couple of times in the early 1970’s.  The Headmaster was Mr Grey and one of the teachers Mrs Prichard (previously Mrs Richard) took us for a holiday for a week which I loved so much.  In the last couple of years I’ve been thinking about revisiting but so gutted it’s no longer there.  The photo is a fabulous reminder.

Sara

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 06:23:12 PM »
I lived at martineau house with my parents from 1956 to 1968. My parents mr and mrs Morris were head teacher and matron. It was started with a bequest from Clara martineau, a Birmingham councillor and run by Birmingham education committee. Originally it was in towyn on the west coast of wales, started in the late 1940s.  The  house in bognor was supposed to be the lodge to the grander craigweil house, where the king stayed ( thus, the regis on bognor). The house was sold by Birmingham in the 80s/90s. There is now a housing estate on the site. I loved it there.

Richard John Rimell

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 04:36:17 PM »
Hi bonnyfrombrum

Do you have any more information on Martineau House?  In the 70's, the Housemaster was Mr. Tice, who I think retired in 1982/3? and Mr and Mrs Steed took over.  I'm still interested.
Hi there I satyed there Mr and Mrs Steed were there in 1981.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy