Author Topic: Curry Houses  (Read 11043 times)

IzzyM

Re: Curry Houses
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 08:08:29 PM »
Hi all

As a follow up to this subject, we have learned about another restauarant called the New Moon. We believe it was at 546 Bearwood Road.

Does anyone have any experience of or information about it?

Thanks!

townie

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »
Why don't you take a walk down Ladypool road ? you will find everything you need to know about Birmingham curry houses there.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 10:49:16 PM »
IzzyM

I'm sure you know as well as me that at the times you are interested in the 50's & early 60's that there were no curry houses on Ladypool Road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

aerosolarabic

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 03:23:28 AM »
The Light of Asia, on the upper level in Corporation Street from what i have found was said to an indian restaurant.  However I have found some accounts online of it being an early Chinese Restaurant. Can anyone confirm if it was always an Indian Restaurant?

Colin27

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
I'm fairly sure this was a Chinese restaurant in the late 60's or early 70's called the Dragon Gate or something similar. I remember a family outing there probably in the late 60's, I would be early teens, thinking we were trailblazing into another world! Lord knows what we ate, my Mom thought Vesta curries were the food of the devil!!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 11:20:41 AM »
I'm fairly sure this was a Chinese restaurant in the late 60's or early 70's called the Dragon Gate or something similar. I remember a family outing there probably in the late 60's, I would be early teens, thinking we were trailblazing into another world! Lord knows what we ate, my Mom thought Vesta curries were the food of the devil!!

Colin

You are correct, the original use for this restaurant was the Courts Dining Rooms after they demolished the the dining rooms next to the Victoria Law Courts for a new police station and extensions to the court building.

One of it's many uses after it stopped being the Courts Dining Rooms it was the Dragons Gate Chinese Restaurant. The entrance was on Corporation Street opposite the Law Courts as shown in this photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2018, 09:10:23 PM »
The first curry I tasted was at the Shah Bagh in Bristol Street, in the early 60's.  I had been to a disco at Smethwick Baths and when I came out was wondering how I was going to get home when the group offered me a lift.  They were Carl Wayne and the Vikings.  The guitarist Terry then asked if I'd like to join them for a curry.  I was apprehensive but enjoyed it straight away and was hooked.

The curry houses in those days always seem to have flock wallpaper usually in red and half curtained windows so you couldn't see in.

Pat11 you don't know how lucky you were those were the forerunners of The Move etc
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy