Author Topic: Anyone have pictures of Dennis Rd/ stoney lane barracks?  (Read 5191 times)

Chandoskid

Anyone have pictures of Dennis Rd/ stoney lane barracks?
« on: December 12, 2015, 06:06:41 AM »

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Anyone have pictures of Dennis Rd/ stoney lane barracks?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 11:23:16 AM »
Hi Chandoskid

I'm assuming that you are the same Chandos Kid that made some posts a couple of years back as you were asking about Stoney Lane Barracks then. I don't remember if I put this photo up then or I have come across it since then. It's probably not what you are looking for as it is quite ancient.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Chandoskid

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
Hi Phil, yes same person as before. I couldn't remember my password so thought it just as well to re register.
I've since moved to Australia from Sussex.
The pic I posted is of my mum and a couple of my sisters. We lived in the barracks houses on Dennis road as you can see. We moved from there in 69 to Highgate.
The pic of the barracks is quite recognisable to me even though quite a few years before my time! Thanks.

townie

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
That's a lovely photo Chandoskid and I hope it brings back happy memories. My Mom and Dad never had a camera so all my memories are in my head. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »
Chandoskid

I don't know the last time you was in the area, but it has changed quite a bit most of the middle part of Dennis Rd is now fenced of and is part of the school including those houses. Is that why you moved? The barracks themselves have been completely rebuilt and changed from what I remember when I was in the cadets there in the very early 60's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
dennis road comes to life  with a bit of colour

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 02:11:56 PM »
One photo of Dennis Rd I took when last down that way and the two earlier ones are from Friends Reunited,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Chandoskid

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 11:05:45 AM »
Haha. Thanks for the colour update. As I was only 4 years old when we left Dennis Road, my memories are in B&W anyway! In reply to the post that asked if we moved because the houses were to be knocked down...I don't think so, it was more likely that my dad finally left the Army in 1969 having served in The Ox and Bucks, Royal Norfolks, RASC and Signals since 1941. We moved to the new concrete boxes in Lawford Grove, where my mum still lives.
We continued to visit the barracks for some years as my dad was then in the TA and we were friends with the caretaker and his family who lived a couple of doors away. Struggling to remember their names...possibly Meades,  but they had a full size snooker table in the garage. My memories of early childhood are of playing hide and seek in the barracks amongst the trucks, the smell of diesel and Mr Meades rhubarb patch in the end garden. Also playing in the hall where they had the xmas parties and the mess where father Xmas used to visit. Also remember the ice cream place across the road where they parked the vans.  Funny the things you remember.

cocacolakid

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »
One photo of Dennis Rd I took when last down that way and the two earlier ones are from Friends Reunited,

Phil..

The shop on the corner (now converted to residential) was our tuck shop when I was at Dennis Rd, 1954 to 58. It was owned by a Mrs Green. I have been back to the school in recent times, it is more like a prison now.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Alibi

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 06:33:46 AM »
lived in the TA houses around 59-62

Chandoskid

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 06:04:33 AM »
We came back from Hong Kong in 66, to Catterick, I think then those houses in Dennis road must have been around 67-8.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy