Author Topic: Wasthills Tunnel and area  (Read 9010 times)

sandra01

Wasthills Tunnel and area
« on: March 26, 2016, 01:38:21 PM »
Does anyone have any old pics of Wasthills tunnel, Redhill Road( from Junction with Redditch Road) going towards Wythall passing the current BFC training grounds?

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Wasthills Tunnel and area
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 02:51:39 PM »
   hi and welcome to the forum I think this is the one you wont not sur roay
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Spud

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 03:23:20 PM »
Sandra
Take a look at A Brummie's  Guide to Birmingham Site there is quite a number of Photos of The Tunnel.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

sandra01

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 03:31:41 PM »
Thanks both for your replies. Anything on Redhill Road area too would be appreciated 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 03:55:02 PM »
Sandra

I assume you mean Redhill Rd West Heath, will these be of any use to you?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »
hi phil I think shes on about the lane than runs from the man on the moon in westheath to Wythall  that's goes past the blues training ground    if I remember right redhill road runs from Lilly lane  up to the man on the moon pub
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

sandra01

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 04:51:54 PM »
Thanks so much for these pics, I've not seen them before. Redhill Road is in three parts so it does include the 'lane ' part from the Man on the Moon to Wythall ,any pics of this part too would be good . This part also includes the building that is the breather hole ( not sure if this is the right wording) for the Wasthills Tunnel just past Bracken Way

planetmalc

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »
This part also includes the building that is the breather hole ( not sure if this is the right wording) for the Wasthills Tunnel just past Bracken Way

'Ventilation shaft', maybe?

There's been talk recently of trying to re-open this tunnel   -   are you working on the project?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

sandra01

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »
Yes ventilation shaft sounds right !
Wasn't aware that the tunnel was closed ?
They are doing work on the Selly Oak area through to Lapal, currently working behind Battery Park supposed to be doing a new marina there
No I am not working on this project although it does sound interesting, purely curious about the Wasthills and Redhill Road area ie old photos

planetmalc

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 03:22:29 PM »
Yes ventilation shaft sounds right !
Wasn't aware that the tunnel was closed ?
They are doing work on the Selly Oak area through to Lapal, currently working behind Battery Park supposed to be doing a new marina there
No I am not working on this project although it does sound interesting, purely curious about the Wasthills and Redhill Road area ie old photos

Not sure if I'm getting mixed up between the Wast Hills Tunnel and the Lapal Tunnel, but I seem to recall boating around the Kings Norton end of the Wast Hills Tunnel and being unable to gain access at that end due to it being fenced off with an iron grill (this would have been back in the 1970's or 80's).

I mountain-bike around the Lapal Tunnel (both ends) and will have a look at what they're doing there   -   thanks for the heads-up! O0   
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

sandra01

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »
Don't think you will see anything around the Lapal end, but if you go to Selly Oak see around the large island that leads upto the new Queen Elizabeth hospital and Battery Park apparently that's where they have started working - opposite the park and old bus depot

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy