Author Topic: Bristol street shops  (Read 18129 times)

Shah

Re: Bristol street shops
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »
That's brilliant Phil.

The theory completely makes sense and brilliant you could nail it to a window of around 15 yrs.

Just when I think there are no more pictures you pull one out of the bag, fantastic.

I'm supposed to be having a look around the building with the landlord in the next week, as he knows I am interested in the history of it. (The same company benacre properties, who own our shop, own it, incidentally the same outfit who own the land where Kent St baths was, and contravertially pulled it down in 2009, so I read, please correct me if I'm wrong) They are on the verge of tearing it apart at the moment, there was a large asbestos roofed out building which has just been pulled down, you can actually get on the roof from inside, might try and have a look see what might have happened. Without falling off of course! Hopefully I can find some evidence of times gone by. Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Shah

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »
Shah

Yes keep us informed, by the way here's a follow up image to that if your one of the tram lines being removed. It seems to be the road being reinstated after the removal of the tracks.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »
Yes, please keep us posted Shah.

I go past this row of shops on my daily commute and have been watching with interest over the past few years the various renovations.  It's great to see the smart shops & student accommodation there now where it was previously run down.

I just wish they'd do something with the Monaco & Nova buildings adjacent to Bristol Street Motors  :P
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Shah

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 09:39:39 PM »
Another brilliant image Phil.

Hard to believe those buildings on the left would be in the middle of the carriageway now.

Hi Judith, will do.

They've done a cracking job of the shops, really smartened up that part of town, there are big plans for the horse fair down towards our shops too.
The Monaco and Nova buildings have just been sold by Tesco, who I hear owned the land for years, so I hear. Had a chap in the shop a few months back said he had been working on plans to convert/ or rebuild the buildings into 400 student accommodation units, so I would imagine, something will happen in the next couple of years. we shall see.

Cheers

Shah

JudithM

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 01:02:04 PM »
That's good to hear.  I was thinking they'd make ideal student accommodation.  Maybe it will free up some of the housing in Selly Oak too - I know that there is a distinct lack of housing other than student accommodation in that area and that some are rather fed up of it.

JudithM

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 01:22:05 PM »
I've noticed that there is now fencing & demolition signs round the Monaco building, so I guess it is coming down after all.

Jacko

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 10:44:33 PM »
Pretty certain Starkey's bread shop was at 74 Bristol St, best tasting bread in Brum (in my opinion), anyway, it's on the side of the street requested, Regards, John.

townie

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 10:56:21 PM »
That's a fantastic photo Jacko.  O0
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

JudithM

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »
That is a great picture.

Jacko

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 02:47:26 PM »
Thanks townie and JudithM but it's not my photo, I've copied it from the 'net, there were no owners name and if it's copyright then it can be removed, regards, John.

townie

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »
Jacko take no notice, most photos on this forum come from the internet. The way I see it is, if someone has posted a photo on the internet then its there to be copied. As for copyright photos I feel if someone copies it not profit making there is no problem. After all who is going to take you to court for coping a photo off the internet. I have copied thousands  from the internet. I might be wrong but it will never stop me. That's what learning is all about.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy