Author Topic: Smiths crisps  (Read 3332 times)

dougmcgill

Smiths crisps
« on: October 06, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »
Does anybody remember the Smiths Crisps factory in Tyseley.
It's a vague memory that I have and would to learn more about it.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Smiths crisps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »
Hi Doug

I'm afraid that I know very little other than the location of the factory and possibly what became of it. The factory was located at the Kings Road end of Wharfdale Road and seems to have ceased trading sometime around the beginning of the 70's. I'm pretty sure that I have a memory of Slumberland Mattresses taking over the premises, but although they are no longer there as far as I know the last time I was down that way the main building was still standing.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »

The Smiths Building is still standing you can just about see it from the Train as it passes through Tyseley Station. It appears to be occupied by a Engineering company
As a matter of interest my Aunt Lil worked for Smiths Crisps years [and years] ago. It was her job to put the blue packet of salt in each packet of Crisps seem to remember being told as a kid she got the princely sum of 6 pence per gross for her labours.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

cocacolakid

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 07:52:17 PM »
Very familiar with the Smiths Crisps factory, as I worked in Wharfedale Rd, at the Dawes Cycle Factory.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

forehead

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
Hi Malc did you just work in the new factory or the old one too. I worked there up until 2000

Len ames

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 03:47:34 AM »
Hi Malc did you just work in the new factory or the old one too. I worked there up until 2000
I worked there as a trunk driver went all over the uk I was Bout 23 then great times

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 09:51:02 AM »
I think Smiths Crisps started in INKERMAN ST VAUXHALL IN THE 40s. They took over the old CO OP COAL OFFICES. . My uncles firm RTP CRISPS started IN SALTLEY RD in the 50s.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 09:18:00 PM »
I remember Tudor crips with Henry the V111 on the front of the packet if memory serves available in plain with bag of salt or oxo flavoured . After reading an article on Tudor crisps I find out Smiths Crisps took over Tudor , then one takeover after another Walkers buy Smiths then Pepsico bought the hole shebang dropped the Smiths brand name in favour of Walkers that's the story of Smith's in a bag .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Gwladmab

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 06:32:31 AM »
I do remember the Smiths Crips factory very well, travelled past it many times. Large Smith Crips sign above the wall as you turned left off Wharfedale Rd over Tysley Bridge. Most of the family worked at Bakelite or Slumberland back in the day., when there were plenty of jobs around and almost everyone wanted a job of work......

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »
At the age of 10 me and my mother would sit all night putting the Salt into the square of blue paper to go in the bag of RTP CRISPS. This gave me pocket money and my mother extra money. This taught me to save at an early age. I then startedto work at weekends and school holidays to earn extra, cleaning the potatoes then into the chipping machine. And later when my uncle started to make PORKY SCRATCHINGS  I helped break them up small for the girls to bag them, this was usually of a Saturday also putting the flavouring on them. Good times
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Gwladmab

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 01:47:21 PM »
At the age of 10 me and my mother would sit all night putting the Salt into the square of blue paper to go in the bag of RTP CRISPS. This gave me pocket money and my mother extra money. This taught me to save at an early age. I then startedto work at weekends and school holidays to earn extra, cleaning the potatoes then into the chipping machine. And later when my uncle started to make PORKY SCRATCHINGS  I helped break them up small for the girls to bag them, this was usually of a Saturday also putting the flavouring on them. Good times
Oh yes, the little blue bag. Did you ever pop one on your mouth by mistake, whilst eating your crisps? It does come as a bit of a shock!!!!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy