Author Topic: Then & Now  (Read 339526 times)

JudithM

Re: Then & Now
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 01:23:05 PM »
If we backtrack now as far as Five Ways Island we can head down Islington Row (is it still called that)?

Yes it is (I go past it on my daily commute!).

I remember that cinema when the MacDonalds is now, shame they knocked it down.  Most of the land next to the MacDonalds is still waste land!

As for Selly Oak, it really, really annoys me how badly vandalised that bridge gets (and I'm not calling it graffiti as, in my opinion, just scrawling your name on something is in no way an art form  >:( ).  Every so often, they get it cleaned up and within days the spray paint starts to appear...
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 03:28:09 PM »
Yes Judith graffiti seems to be a growing problem, but this is what happens when people start paying vandals like Banksy millions instead of prosecuting him all you do is encourage thousands more like him.

Moving a little further up Bristol Rd now to Selly Oak where the changes seem mostly confined to the Eastern side of the road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 06:13:50 PM »
We are now moving up to Northfield, the first image is at the beginning of the High Street. Did they ever reopen the pub under The Grosvenor Shopping Centre after it closed in the 70's? 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 06:18:27 PM »
We are now taking a look back down Bristol Rd from Rochester toward Bell Lane
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 06:24:05 PM »
Here we are looking at the Black Horse and down Frankley Beeches Road that in the time of the first photo was still called [censored] Lane
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »
Before heading any further down Bristol Rd lets take a little peek down Frankley Beeches Road. The first building of note has to be the RC church & school of Our Lady & St Brigid  that hardly seems to have changed at all.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »
At the end of Frankley Beeches road we would have at one time come across a rarity. One of the few pubs in Birmingham that I had never been in The Dingle, well I never will now will I?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 02:56:18 PM »
The Dingle was very irish the few times I went in, but that might be because of who I was with

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »
Mike

It was just a little too far for is to struggle, when my sister lived on Vinyard Rd we would mostly stick to the Merritts Brook and the Allens Cross Social Club. Though we did make it as far as the Beeches occasionally and once in a blue moon we climbed that hill to the Highlander.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 06:26:24 PM »
Phil..

My wife and I went to the Dingle many times, they used to have live country music bands there.  I remember the actor, who played the character "Benny" out of Crossroads used to frequent the place, he was often propping up the bar. I saw many country bands and artists there, including Frank Ifield. 

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

cocacolakid

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 06:36:56 PM »
Here we are looking at the Black Horse and down Frankley Beeches Road that in the time of the first photo was still called [censored] Lane
[/quot

Phil..

I assume the name of the lane that is censored is a rude word, however, if it was the name of a lane, why can it not be mentioned.  I am interested to know. If you can't say on the forum, could you let me know the name of this lane, by P.M

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy