Author Topic: Cannon Hill Park  (Read 96880 times)

Marion

Re: Cannon Hill Park
« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »
This photo of me 70+ years ago Cannon Hill Park paddling pool
Charliewag
lovely picture - thanks for posting it - amazing to think it was over 70 years ago

many memories of Cannon Hill Park but the earliest are of The Tulip Festival I think - later going to the fair there in my teens and 20's with friends.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #243 on: July 24, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »
Here are a couple of photos of Cannon Hill Lido that once stood where the MAC Centre stands now. In my opinion the Lido should have remained as it would have been more popular than the MAC. It opened in 1873 and closed in 1939.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #244 on: July 25, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »
Phil..

Well, you live and learn.  I never knew there was a lido at Cannon Hill park. Thanks for the pictures & info.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Jaynevicar

« Reply #245 on: August 04, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »
I am keen to know where I can find out more about the history of Cannon Hill Park, as my grandfather was head gardener here 1940's onwards. He used to design the mechanical floral displays like clocks that worked and used to plan how the tulips for the tulip festivals would be planted out.
I am desperate to find pictures and information about him and his work, as I have nothing. 
Can anyone help me please?
Thanks.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #246 on: August 04, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »
Hi Jayne,

Welcome to the forum, I think you will find a lot of photos of the park on this thread. For further information have you thought of contacting the Friends of Cannon Hill Park or even Birmingham City Council Parks Department?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

delboy982

« Reply #247 on: October 10, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
I recently became aware of this Forum and have been avidly reading through the many parts of interest -especially old Ladywood, Winson Green, Hockley, Aston, 'Town'.
I remember going past Cannon Hill Park most days on the 41 or 45 bus during the mid 1960s to and from Stirchley.
My best memory is of the World Cup period in 1966. The Argentinians were based in Birmingham. They played one game that was a bloodbath against Spain at Villa Park.
The Argentinians used the Police College by Cannon Hill as a training base. So you could see Rattin and his mates running around as you sat upstairs on the bus!
I don't know what happened to the Police College. I left Brum in 1968. There are not many references to the College on the web.

planetmalc

« Reply #248 on: October 10, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »
Here are a couple of photos of Cannon Hill Lido that once stood where the MAC Centre stands now. In my opinion the Lido should have remained as it would have been more popular than the MAC. It opened in 1873 and closed in 1939.

When the MAC was flooded by the River Rea a few years ago, we had the best of both worlds! ;D

According to a book on Birmingham's Parks, the pool was up-and-running the day Cannon Hill Park opened on September 1st 1873 and was leased to the lessee of the nearby boating pools.     The lease was not renewed in 1899, so the Baths Committee became responsible for its management.   

The water area of the pool was approximately 216' x 100' and the depth varied between 2' 6" and 6' 0".     The bottom and sloping sides were formed of concrete and the water supply was obtained from a small stream which had its source within the Park's boundaries (and NOT from the Rea which was approx 6' below the water level of the pool).    Dressing accomodation was provided at one side of the bath with a paved promenade, and the remaining sides were turfed with sloping banks planted with shrubbery.

It was Birmingham's first outdoor pool.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

soco

« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2017, 11:45:12 AM »

As a newcomer to this forum with a particular interest in Cannon Hill Park, some members may be interested in my memories of the park and I have a great interest in their memories.
One member asked if anyone knew her grandfather who was head gardener during the 1940's. Unfortunately that era was a bit before my time, however I do know the name of the head gardener in 1960, his name as I recall was Vic Pass. Not sure if that is spelt correctly.
I believe the next one was Alec Eccles again not sure of the spelling.
All those that followed are still alive so for the moment they will remain private.
The very first Park keeper (head gardener) was Mr Samuels Hearn. He would have been in residence in 1873 when te park was first opened.

I have other snippets of information if people are interested in future posts.

pat11

« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »
I remember going in the paddling pool in Cannon Hill Park.  We also used to paddle in the river Rea which I think was either alongside the park or in the park, or was that Calthorpe Park?  This was frowned upon as there could be quite a current.  I remember losing a shoe once, I dropped it in the river Rea and before I could retrieve it the shoe had rapidly floated away!

Kindness is the best feature

pat11

« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2017, 10:59:01 AM »
I remember that place well Roy.  Years ago I remember it as being a sort of Natural History Museum.  There were loads of glass cabinets with stuffed animals and birds in.  Now, its just a large entrance way.
Kindness is the best feature

earlswoodbob

« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2017, 12:33:22 PM »
I remember going into the Museum, usually in school holidays and looking at the stuffed stoats and weasels in summer and winter coats, white for winter and brown for summer. I also visited the paddling pool which was always murky and gritty on the bottom, but I recall it closing when a polio scare hit about late 50’s early sixties. We also used to paddle in Bourn Brook at the side of the Museum. My nightmare memory was at about aged 8 or so walking across a very slimy weir on Bourn Brook just where it passed under the Pershore Road. I slipped into the steep and slimy channel, I ended up in the River Rea where the 2 streams met and somehow scrambled out with bruises everywhere especially an “egg” on my forehead.  So what did we do?, my friends and I probably the oldest about 11, walked home to Balsall Heath soaking wet, got changed and carried on playing.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy