Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES  (Read 21596 times)

astoness

BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES
« on: September 30, 2017, 07:36:42 AM »
dont know other members think but this beggars belief in my eyes...the city is broke...so many cut backs and loss of jobs within the public amenities yet we are hosting the commonwealth games in 2022..the cost is £750 million and no doubt that will rise...the council have to find a quarter of this...i certainly hope that the areas chosen to hold the games is somewhere nice because at the moment in the main birmingham is a dump and i say that with dismay..dont get me wrong i am a lover of sport and would welcome the games if the city could afford it...to my mind the money could have been better spent to benefit the people of birmingham in some way.

lyn..

Edmund Fifield

Re: BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »
 :-\ :-\ Can someone please tell me where are they going to park all cars and coaches,don't anyone on the council think about these things until the day,or can they just see the £ signs and how many tickets they can grab hold of, :-[ :-\
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »
Lyn

Unlike yourself there is no sport that I like, I have no doubt we will have someone from the Council spouting off about just how much trade & business they will bring to the city and how much cash for local businesses they will generate. Then a week or so after the games finish all we will hear is how much we lost.

Do we actually receive anything from the ticket sales or do the  CGF take it all, in fact can anybody tell me do we actually receive any direct payment from the CGF or do we pay them for the privilege? 

It's the new library all over again, just different packaging, or Council bigwigs trying to make themselves into international names.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 12:06:18 PM »
The traffic ln cities is mental now without adding more to it. Parts of motorways can't cope with all the traffic on them.      :o
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Abt

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 12:43:18 PM »
I love sport of all kinds and would be proud if it was coming here and Birmingham council could afford it, which as Lyn says they cannot.
The council are cutting jobs in areas that affect the wellbeing of  vulnerable children and the elderly, but put themselves forward as a candidate for these games.

The only thing that Commonwealth or Olympic games leave behind are brilliant facilities for future sports people but at the expense of the council tax payers because as Birmingham council keep telling people they have no money for childcare serrvices etc. where else could it  be coming from.

I don't very often go into the city centre any more Solihull and Coventry are nearer for me, but I went on Wednesday and I was shocked at what a state Birmingham is in, not an image I would like to think that athletes and visitors from the Commonwealth took home with them.

I have always thought that the journey by road from the airport to the city down the scruffy  Coventry Road must leave first time visitors wondering why they ever came here.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
Alberta

Normally I would leap to the defence of Birmingham, but in this case I find myself unable to give a defence, because I have to agree with what you say. Most of Coventry Road is a slum as is most of our inner city areas, and that is down to the Council who will tell you it's because of the lack of funds. Though they will quite happily find the money to fund yet another white elephant and put the City deeper in debt.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »
well said alberta and phil...dont really want to keep going on about this but as a person who has been travelling around birmingham via car and bus for the past 10 years  taking photos i do feel qualified to see for myself the state of our city both inner and outer...a few weeks ago i was meeting someone outside digbeth coach station on the high st side...i stood there and looked right then left towards st martins church and thought to myself....if i was a tourist taking in this view i would turn round and go straight back home..it couldnt have looked any worse 500 years ago.. :(

Scipio

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »

:-\ :-\ Can someone please tell me where are they going to park all cars and coaches,don't anyone on the council think about these things until the day,or can they just see the £ signs and how many tickets they can grab hold of, :-[ :-\

On double yellow lines and grass verges as normal plus double parked in cul de Sacs to block residents in. Where else , take it from me its all been strategically worked out by the council. This way of parking has never bothered the council before why would it now ?
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 08:48:53 PM »

The traffic ln cities is mental now without adding more to it. Parts of motorways can't cope with all the traffic on them.      :o

Well they will have their work cut out if its all happening at The Alexander Stadium ,its just up the road from Perry Barr dog track,
no parking on the main road , the side road is just about two cars wide
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 08:56:48 PM »

I love sport of all kinds and would be proud if it was coming here and Birmingham council could afford it, which as Lyn says they cannot.
The council are cutting jobs in areas that affect the wellbeing of  vulnerable children and the elderly, but put themselves forward as a candidate for these games.

The only thing that Commonwealth or Olympic games leave behind are brilliant facilities for future sports people but at the expense of the council tax payers because as Birmingham council keep telling people they have no money for childcare serrvices etc. where else could it  be coming from.

I don't very often go into the city centre any more Solihull and Coventry are nearer for me, but I went on Wednesday and I was shocked at what a state Birmingham is in, not an image I would like to think that athletes and visitors from the Commonwealth took home with them.

I have always thought that the journey by road from the airport to the city down the scruffy  Coventry Road must leave first time visitors wondering why they ever came here.
[/quote ]

I  regularly travel to Norfolk and back on the train , you certainly know when you're at Leicester and on the way back to Brum , with all the rubbish etc on the side of the tracks
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 10:16:47 AM »
Went past the stadium few months ago then saw it on the Telly ,they will have to spend £1millions to get it big enough to take all the BBC cameras and presenters and hanger ons that will want to be there >:( >:(
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy