Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES  (Read 21599 times)

Spud

Re: BIRMINGHAM TO HOST THE 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2020, 09:30:20 AM »
I fear the worst for these Games Not so long ago we had the World Championships in Qatar the attendances were woeful. I think over exposure by TV has killed off a lot of interest in Athletics etc . Unless you can attract another Usain Bolt or the like it could become a a real White Elephant. I just wonder what the cost of the seats for the opening and closing ceremonies  will be. Way beyond the average bloke I'll be bound
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

JudithM

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2020, 01:17:58 PM »

Judith does that really surprise you , when you take in to account that other nonsense taking place in the country ?
It does make me wonder who did the cost analysis for the tender and how they could have got it so drastically wrong.  The person who signed off the budget has a lot to answer for if they did not get up front written quotes, from more than one company.  That's how it should be done.

It sounds like the Council will have to foot a large part of the shortfall, which in turn means us council tax payers, or more cuts in already meagre services to find the money.

I don't for one second begrudge people living in the area where the games are to be held having new & renovated properties to be able to rent once the athletes have gone, but there should be a way of the council's bad accounting not causing more hardship for the people who pay their taxes to them.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2020, 08:42:04 PM »
It does make me wonder who did the cost analysis for the tender and how they could have got it so drastically wrong.  The person who signed off the budget has a lot to answer for if they did not get up front written quotes, from more than one company.  That's how it should be done.

It sounds like the Council will have to foot a large part of the shortfall, which in turn means us council tax payers, or more cuts in already meagre services to find the money.

I don't for one second begrudge people living in the area where the games are to be held having new & renovated properties to be able to rent once the athletes have gone, but there should be a way of the council's bad accounting not causing more hardship for the people who pay their taxes to them.

I couldn't agree more
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

GardenGerald

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2020, 08:49:36 PM »
Hello Everyone.
The games would bring in so much money that the streets would be lined in gold.
The Council and Chamber of Trade said the same about HS2. 36.000 people per day would visit Birmingham.
They now admit the figure might reach 10.000 if they are lucky.
Gerald.

Scipio

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2020, 09:17:27 PM »
Hello Everyone.
The games would bring in so much money that the streets would be lined in gold.
The Council and Chamber of Trade said the same about HS2. 36.000 people per day would visit Birmingham.
They now admit the figure might reach 10.000 if they are lucky.
Gerald.

Gerald where do they get these figures from , when there is nothing they can actually match or judge it with ?
Mark Twain

GardenGerald

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2020, 10:04:46 PM »
Hello Scipio
I have no idea perhaps it was the first number that came into their heads.  I saw the 36.000 quoted in quite a few places.
Take care
Gerald.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2020, 10:06:43 AM »
Just been announced archery & shooting to take place in India.Why not Balsall Heath.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Spud

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2020, 11:18:27 AM »
I believe that the Indian Team  Threaten to boycott the games when The Archery and Shooting events were originally omitted from the Games. As Edmund says these events have been transferred to India and will probably take place a few weeks before the Main Games
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Scipio

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2020, 08:30:35 PM »
Just been announced archery & shooting to take place in India.Why not Balsall Heath.

Edmund more to the point who's paying for them to go to India ? Or are they residents in India , sending the results by proxy

Opinions are opinions and may differ this was mine
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2020, 07:00:16 PM »
Scipio, ;D ;D ;D  would they be by post

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2020, 03:00:12 PM »
In the news today .BhamCouncil to bring in aHotel bedroom tax to help fund the Games.Why didn't they think about this 2 years ago.The FORWARD Bham motto shows up again. >:( >:(  at last.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy