Author Topic: The number 8 bus route  (Read 69955 times)

astoness

Re: The number 8 bus route
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 07:38:05 PM »
no 8 went past the bottom of my street...still does...happy days :)

JudithM

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 01:14:30 PM »

Phil I often wanted to go on that route , whichever way clockwise or anti . The question I'd like to as is how long did it take to go all the way around . The other route I wanted to explore was the no 11 outer circle , that's another missed ambition

I did the 11 route the once, in the late '80's or very early '90's - I did get off at Acocks Green to stretch my legs a bit mind you :D  Never done the 8 route though  :-\
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »
I don't think the kids today would stand for being sent off on a bus ride to nowhere, there are much more entertaining things to do with your time today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Joewoen

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »
My nan was proud of being a Brummie and wanted her grandkids to be proud too. She'd often walk me around the town centre and Cannon Hill Park. But I especially enjoyed the trip on the number 11, we did it several times. I wish I could remember all the things she told me.  Strangely enough we never did the 8, that pleasure had to wait until I lived in Alum Rock.

This is a good series, thanks Phil.

jamesm

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2017, 08:56:29 PM »
I never had occasion to use the No.8 The only thing I can associate with it is when I was a teenager and there was a horrific murder somewhere in Brum and the murder weapon or some evidence was found under a No.8 bus seat. I can't remember the exact details but I'm sure there are forum members who do.

Scipio

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 10:19:56 PM »

I never had occasion to use the No.8 The only thing I can associate with it is when I was a teenager and there was a horrific murder somewhere in Brum and the murder weapon or some evidence was found under a No.8 bus seat. I can't remember the exact details but I'm sure there are forum members who do.

Would that have been the Wheeley's Rd murder in the YWCA , Stephanie Baird victim . Patrick Joseph Byrne murderer.
He was supposed to have got the No 8 on Bell Barn Rd bloodstained shortly after commiting the murder . He was reported to have said
to his mother while they were watching the story on  the news at home , what a good job he had done, mutilation and decapitation
the copper who got to the scene first fainted. There were door to door enquiries made , my brother in law was interviewed by the CID
I'll never forget that crime , namely because there was such a manhunt . JamesM I might be wrong but I'm sure this is the crime you're
relating to
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 10:56:46 PM »
The only other violent crime I can remember on this part of the route was another murder where the murderer used the number 8 for a getaway and that was the murder of Thomas Bates newsagent who's shop was on Lee Bank (see photo). Oswald Augustus Grey was the last person to hang at Winson Green prison when found guilty of his murder.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Potomac

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
There are quite a few links in a search engine about this horrific murder - the one mentioned by Scipio.  I suspect there are the same for the one described by Phil.
best wishes,  Alan

astoness

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 11:11:23 PM »
what years were those two murders.....cant recall them but maybe i was too young

lyn

astoness

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »
the stephanie baird one was in 1959 so i was only 6..i was very surprised to read that patrick byrne  did not hang for this crime for which he confessed yet oswald grey was hung in 1962 for the thomas bates murder on flimsy evidence...strange

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-christmas-killing-shocked-nation-8277490

jamesm

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2017, 07:10:03 AM »
Scipio this is exactly the one I can recall. As I said earlier I couldn't quite remember the details but now you mention the names and facts it has all come back to me. If it was in 1959 then I was only ten years old and not in my teens at the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy