Author Topic: Heaton Street, Hockley  (Read 25530 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Heaton Street, Hockley
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2021, 05:27:56 PM »
Think I did hear it moved to Sheffield.Not sure though
Ed, my grandfather was a self-employed jeweller in Heaton St more or less right up to when he died 1953, would he have been drawing a state pension then?
Peg
P.S. Wots a good pension? How does $5.48 million a day sound? Link:
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9470.msg765667#msg765667

It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2021, 07:22:24 PM »
When I lived in Heaton 1949-59 (left when I was aged 10) my horizon was severely limited in terms of exotic destinations, a trip to Handsworth Park was only over-shadowed by a fortnight in a caravan in Brean Down. Link:
https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg672032#msg672032
Peg
P.S. Brean Down? Link Holidays & Leisure:
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15385.msg707172#msg707172

Peg Monkey

Peg Monkey

« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2022, 10:24:04 AM »
I lived the first 10 years (1949-59) of my life in Heaton St and always considered myself a Brummie, but if you apply the definition: A Brummie is someone born within the Inner Circle 8 Bus Route I just miss out, don't think I can claim I'm OK on the technicality: Inner Circle 8 Buses left the depot at the bottom of Heaton St and they tested their brakes along Heaton St as they proceeded to their route proper at The Flat, Lodge Rd. 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2024, 11:24:24 AM »
I lived the first 10 years (1949-59) of my life in Heaton St and always considered myself a Brummie, but if you apply the definition: A Brummie is someone born within the Inner Circle 8 Bus Route I just miss out, don't think I can claim I'm OK on the technicality: Inner Circle 8 Buses left the depot at the bottom of Heaton St and they tested their brakes along Heaton St as they proceeded to their route proper at The Flat, Lodge Rd.
I lived on the west side of Heaton St, which was just metres outside the Inner Circle 8 Bus Route, so, based on the above definition I cannot legitimately claim to be a Brummie, although my accent has marked me out otherwise all my life, interestingly (???) had I lived on the east side of Heaton Street (the posh side - all private houses, rented or owned) I would be a Brummie as these house were just inside the Inner Circle 8 Buss Route.
Fascinating as these facts are, has it made any difference to me in the grand scheme of things? - Not a jot.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2024, 11:42:04 AM »
mike thats just reminded me....mid 80s people used to cut out a bit of a benson and hedge fatg pkt take out the clicker part of an electronic lighter put the cut out in the slot of a pre paid meter and click the clicker on the card and it clocked up the leccy...for some reason it had to be a benson and hedges pkt so that the clicker reacted with the gold part of the packet...dont know how but it worked...doubt it could be done with todays meters but who knows  :o
I haven't seen a post from you for ages, if I remember correctly the last one must have been about the time the moderators put me in the naughty corner for my cartoons.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy