Author Topic: The Flat, Lodge Road, Hockley  (Read 13990 times)

Peg Monkey

The Flat, Lodge Road, Hockley
« on: August 05, 2018, 09:06:21 PM »
Just a few minutes walk from Heaton St where I lived....
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

Re: The Flat, Lodge Road, Hockley
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 06:55:22 PM »
The Flat - Plan. I produced The Plan shown with the aid of the 1955 Edition Of Kelly's Directory, I chose that particular time because I was 6, living in Heaton St and The Flat was very much the centre of my universe. The plan is very detailed and it's very much a trial to see how much can be read, even so if I have to post another split version I still think seeing the full version is still worthwhile.....here goes.....
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:38:46 PM »
A Walk around The Old Flat - This link will take you to a mapsite where you will find a useful aid if you fancy an armchair stroll around Hockley, the map I find useful is OS 25inch, 1892-1914. http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4959&lon=-1.9081&layers=176&b=6
Credit: Astoness Lyn introduced me to this site.

Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 11:27:37 AM »
The plan of The Flat was hard to read so here it is again split.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
Wide range of shops.....

Peg Monkey

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 08:54:07 PM »
Re-cycling 1955 Style - My passion for building and riding go-carts is well chronicled on the Heaton St Thread. By now I was the proud owner of a Junior Carpentry Tool Kit which I had been given one Christmas. Although junior in size there was a full range of tools and they were working miniatures, made in Poland it had a confusing (for me that was) metric rule but that didn't hold me back too much. But with a zero budget obtaining raw materials for actually making the cart was quite a challenge. I re-cycled old timber when I could but sometimes there was no alternative than to obtain fresh material. In those days oranges were supplied to the greengrocers in wooden crates, these couldn't be sent back to South Africa from where the Outspan Oranges originated so the shop gave them away, but there was a high demand (they were used to build chicken hutches, pigeon coops, rabbit hutches and so on and often for kindling wood (coal fires were king)) so you had to be quick on your toes.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 10:08:49 PM »
Boys' Brigade Band.......
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 11:27:31 PM »
The Bull's Head.....
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 11:31:10 PM »
We all remember in our youth but can't let it go.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 12:20:33 AM »
We all remember in our youth but can't let it go.
Quite right Ed, in my case it's also me try to record memories of events for the sake of future generations, that would otherwise be lost - what does he say in Blade Runner? All those memories will be lost like tears in rain.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 04:13:45 AM »
1955 General Election - Its the 26 May nearly all schools are being used as polling stations so I've got a welcome day off, my best friend Colin, a few years older than me and always with an eye for a business opportunity calls at my house: Got an idea to earn a few bob - interested? That's a foregone conclusion and he goes on to explain: You put a Vote Labour poster on your cart and I'll put one on a placard and we'll offer to parade around the streets promoting the Labour Party for a fee. I had no political affiliations so as far as I was concerned I didn't care who we were promoting as long as there was some donut vouchers in it for me. With our posters ready we make our way to the Labour Campaign Office on The Flat (I think it was above the Co-Op), this is where the plan went off-track: Colin called at the office and asked: Is it Ok if we parade around the streets promoting your party? Colin thought it was implicit some money would change hands for the service provided - the Labour guy wasn't on the same wavelength - he took one look at our promotional gear - said Yes and closed the door. We were devastated - our plan hadn't even got out the starting gate. We went our seperate ways, I wasn't too distraught - I went to play with my other mates in the Icknield St School playground.
Peg.
P.S. Who was elected? - Sir Anthony Eden, Conservative. I wonder in a parallel dimension where we did strike a deal whether the outcome may have been different?!!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy