Author Topic: Boys' Brigade - Birmingham Companies  (Read 21049 times)

pat11

Re: Boys' Brigade - Birmingham Companies
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 04:39:30 PM »
I remember my brother being a member of the Boys Brigade.  Their Headquarters was St Martins Church Hall which was situated in Dean Street, Deritend.  They also had a Brownie pack although I can't remember there being a Girl Guides.
Kindness is the best feature

Peg Monkey

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 06:53:16 PM »
I remember my brother being a member of the Boys Brigade.  Their Headquarters was St Martins Church Hall which was situated in Dean Street, Deritend.  They also had a Brownie pack although I can't remember there being a Girl Guides.

Hi Pat, I don't suppose it was a hard and fast rule but normally Girl Guides and Brownies were linked with The Scouts and Cubs and The Girls' Brigade with The Boys' Brigade. The girls joined my BB Company (3rd Sutton) on our church parades. I remember mutterings then suggesting  it would be a good idea if the Girls' and Boys' Brigades amalgamated (You'd then have to call it The Brigade). I don't know if there was any movement in that direction - anybody out there with inside info' who could bring us upto date?
Peg. 
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

pat11

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 07:12:11 PM »
The hall in Dean Street, which belonged to St. Martins Church in the Bull Ring, was a sort of general community hall which was used for everything activity-wise in the local community.  e.g. one evening a Youth Club, another, BB, then Brownies, dance classes, the occasional jumble sale.  There wasn't a Girls Brigade.  My daughter was a member of the Girls Brigade in Erdington.
Kindness is the best feature

Peg Monkey

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 11:19:40 PM »
Week-long summer camp was one of the highlights of the BB year, at a different resort each year -  I remember clearly camps at Bognor Regis, Torquay and Minehead. We slept in 8-man bell tents on straw-filled mattresses and ate in a large marqee, washing facilities were primative to say the least - an enamel bowl with cold water you collected from a nearby tap, can't remember a shower tent but there must have been one, and toilets (sorry, latrines)? I've erased those from my memory - enough said?
Ah! Happy Days!
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
hi peg have you found your attendance records yet.. ??? if not and for anyone else interested the links are below...ive got our kids  O0

lyn

The attendance records and over 2,000 other photos and records are on the 1st A Flickr page. Follow the link at the bottom of the web site home page [/font][/size]www.1abb.uk[/font][/size] or directly here: [/font][/size]http://www.flickr.com/1staboysbrigade/sets[/font][/size]

Peg Monkey

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 02:20:02 PM »
hi peg have you found your attendance records yet.. ??? if not and for anyone else interested the links are below...ive got our kids  O0

lyn

The attendance records and over 2,000 other photos and records are on the 1st A Flickr page. Follow the link at the bottom of the web site home page [/font][/size]www.1abb.uk[/font][/size] or directly here: [/font][/size]http://www.flickr.com/1staboysbrigade/sets[/font][/size]
Hi Lyn, my membership cards are on Post #8.
Here's your challenge should you decide to accept: BB Companies are usually identified by just a number (I was in the 3rd Sutton Coldfield) why 1stA?

astoness

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »
yes peg ive seen those i just thought you maybe interested in seeing your actual hand written attendance records...they also give your address as well...my brother was chuffed when i found his O0

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »
yes peg ive seen those i just thought you maybe interested in seeing your actual hand written attendance records...they also give your address as well...my brother was chuffed when i found his O0

lyn
Crikey Lyn - that is memorabilia in depth!
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 03:25:43 PM »
yes its a fantastic site...you may even see photos of yourself on your camping trips with the BB

Peg Monkey

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »

lyn

I've just checked the site, Lyn, very impressive - Pictures of Lord Justice Finnemore reminded me he was an avid supporter of the BB in general and the 1stA in particular - if I've got it right he purchased a sports ground in Perry Barr opposite The Boar's Head for the 1stA - very generous.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 05:09:34 PM »
Serious camping started for me in 1963 when I began to prepare for the Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award - my first job was to make a weather-proof pennant for our tent, so I could fly the flag - why did I need a flag? - Many organisations sponsor youngsters to gain the award not just the BB and it was to make our tent stand out if we found ourselves camping with other movements. This pennant is now 55 years old and whilst it has a few watermarks and is now retired it still looks pretty good considerig the atrocious weather it has seen in service - more about that later.
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy