Author Topic: Boys' Brigade - Birmingham Companies  (Read 21050 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Boys' Brigade - Birmingham Companies
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2021, 06:56:59 PM »
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2021, 07:04:06 PM »
Peg hope you meant that jokingly O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2021, 01:24:49 PM »
Happy birthday Boys' Brigade movement, sorry I'm a bit late.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2022, 08:33:33 AM »
In a recent unplanned excursion into the dark recesses of my loft I came across reminders of fond memories of the past......
First, an apology for poor image quality: In my defence, M'Lud, I ask for the following to be taken into consideration: the age of the original transparency (1965), the fact the pic was taken with a low end fixed focus Instamatic camera (do you remember those? The film came in a cartridge for easy loading) and it's a second generation image, enough of the sorries.....First transparency (more to follow): BB Camp, Torquay August 1965, the plaque on the gate post reads:
Boys' Brigade Companies: 52nd, 61st, 67th and 75th Birmingham and 3rd Sutton Coldfield Coys.
Can't remember why my mate was in full uniform, band ready, might have been Sunday Church Parade.
My company, 3rd Sutton Coldfield, was based at The Chester Road Baptist Church, can you identify the homes of the other companies mentioned on the plaque?.......Ah, Happy days......
P.S. Was my mate lucky to avoid court martial for being improperly dressed? If I remember correctly, correct cap position is: 1 finger depth above right ear and two fingers above right eye. 

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2022, 10:48:16 AM »
Was going to say what a HANDSOME CHAP you were till I read it all.

Was thinking you would give FRED a run for his money in those days

Peg Monkey

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2022, 02:57:10 PM »
Was going to say what a HANDSOME CHAP you were till I read it all.
Was thinking you would give FRED a run for his money in those days
Who's Fred?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2022, 03:38:23 PM »
Peg..dont tell me you haven't read Fred's posts from Tenby.

The heart throb of SHELDON IN THE60s

frederick

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2022, 09:37:18 AM »
E F,
The girls love a man in a uniform.       ;)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Peg Monkey

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2022, 02:28:11 PM »
In a recent unplanned excursion into the dark recesses of my loft I came across reminders of fond memories of the past......

Second transparency......
BB Camp Torquay 1965 - Kit and Tent inspection. Each morning after breakfast we had an inspection and marks were awarded which went towards the Tent Competition, I'm on the extreme left of the rank standing to attention, I was the Tent Commander that year and we won the competition. (Can't remember what we won).

Peg Monkey

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2022, 04:52:24 PM »
The pic below is my tent at the last BB camp I attended, Torquay 1965. An 8-man bell tent. As you can there was precious  little in the way of creature comforts, in fact they extended to just a coat hook on the centre pole. Bedding? A straw filled World War I style palliasse (straw filled mattress). The side walls were rolled up each morning (weather permitting) for fresh air. Dining was relatively civilised with each tent being allocated a table and benches in the large mess tent. Toilet facilities? Better not to go there.
Camping badge link: https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15028.msg668880#msg668880
(Note for Roy: This is the post that vanished after about 8 views)

Peg Monkey

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2022, 11:30:57 AM »
Whilst a member of the 3rd Sutton Coldfield BB I gained the Duke of Edinburgh's Award - Gold in 1967, the award consisted of 4 sections: Public Service, Fitness, Expedition and Pursuits & Projects, for the latter I elected to construct the model glider shown below, at 6ft wingspan it was an impressive model.
For those viewers with an aeronautical bent: The model was suitable for radio control but my budget did not stretch that far, so did that mean you just launched it into the wide blue yonder and hoped for the best? - No. To control the glider's flightpath the tail fin was permanently set at a slight angle which caused the model to fly in a circle (the smaller the angle was set on the tailfin the larger the diameter of the flightpath of the glider). To bring the model's flight to an end it was equipped with a crude but effective de-thermaliser. A wick of pre-determined length which burned during flight until it reached a thread which when burnt through caused the tail plane to flip up causing the model to descend.......Attention Elmdon Air Traffic Control, this is Sierra Charlie Golf Bravo...........
Link DofE Gold Award: https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15028.msg671276#msg671276

P.S. Do you remember the 1968 movie The Thomas Crown Affair?...
The Windmills of Your Mind......: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEG7VZnN0mg

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy