Author Topic: Salisbury Transmission Ltd.  (Read 16716 times)

Gwladmab

Re: Salisbury Transmission Ltd.
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2021, 05:36:07 PM »
I thought the E Type started off with a 3.8 litre which was later increased to a 4.2 litre.
3.8 litre from 1961 to about 1968. The one I went in was a1970 model 4.2, a nice ride down Foxhollies Road.

The paint on the car was a poor finish, just 12 months old and paint flaking off the bonnet air vents, shiny metal underneath, poor prep by the look of it.

Gwladmab

« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2021, 05:42:44 PM »
Bit of me in everyone made between 1965-74 O0
Peg

one of my Land Rovers has got a bit of you in it, it’s a 1968 ex military reinforced axles. Needs a bit of work, obviously the axles are fine though  O0

Scipio

« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2021, 06:52:51 PM »
Scipio,
Those snips you can't buy they are specialy made for doing the job made for. I also made specialy shaped hammer heads.

Frederick I can't fault you on craftmanship, I know now how you exude this aura that attracts women   O0
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Spud

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2021, 06:58:56 PM »
You could just imagine Fred on a date 'Come up and have a look a my Hammer Head a real snip'
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Peg Monkey

« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
You could just imagine Fred on a date 'Come up and have a look a my Hammer Head a real snip'
Spud, I feel compelled to get us back on the straight and narrow, like fred's folded seams, right fred?
The images below show the items I made in my metalwork classes in my final year at my senior school, Harry Lucas - (Any relation to Joseph Lucas? Yes, his elder bother, together they built the Joseph Lucas empire).
There is good reason why there is only one photograph and three drawings, everything has got lost except the tea caddy spoon, still able to give excellent service on the very rare occasions called upon (can't remember when we last had loose tea).
I know wot you are thinking: All very interesting, but wots this got to do with the price of fish?
Well, I took all the items shown to my interview at Salisbury Transmission to show what I could do and I'm pretty sure they helped me get the apprenticeship.
Peg
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Gwladmab

« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2021, 08:53:31 AM »
At the time my brother was doing his apprenticeship he went to Bilberry Hill Training Centre, Lickey Hill, I think he stayed for the week. I’ve never been sure if this was part of his Apprenticeship or something like D of E Award Scheme. He was a lot older than me, so I only heard bits of conversations in the house, before being sent to bed! I can still hear Dad ordering ‘Get to bed Boyo’!

Did anyone else attend Bilberry Hill Training Centre? What did you do there? My understanding is that it is now closed.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2021, 09:25:52 AM »
At the time my brother was doing his apprenticeship he went to Bilberry Hill Training Centre, Lickey Hill, I think he stayed for the week. I’ve never been sure if this was part of his Apprenticeship or something like D of E Award Scheme. He was a lot older than me, so I only heard bits of conversations in the house, before being sent to bed! I can still hear Dad ordering ‘Get to bed Boyo’!
Did anyone else attend Bilberry Hill Training Centre? What did you do there? My understanding is that it is now closed.
Sorry can't help with that Gw, have you tried a Google search?
Peg

Gwladmab

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2021, 06:10:51 PM »
Sorry can't help with that Gw, have you tried a Google search?
Peg
I’d found a few bits on Google, like it’s name. I couldn’t remember if it was called Burberry, Bilberry or Banbury Hill, it’s closed, charity went broke and it seemed to be about social care. Was looking more for personal experiences from forum members.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2021, 07:45:17 PM »
When I saw the Moore and Wright kit, it reminded me of some of my dads tools that he got from Bakelite when it closed. Mainly micrometers, a set square and a vernier Gague. What a fantastic place Brum was, truly the city of a 1000 trades, where they could make anything.
Gw, I was borne in Heaton St and lived there until I was 10, another great company making measuring tools, Rabone's, was at the end of the street.
Link: https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14929.msg699353#msg699353
Peg

Trixsie

« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2021, 05:12:40 AM »
Salisbury Transmission Ltd UK was originally established by Salisbury Axle USA in 1939 to serve the British Automotive Industry, manufacturing axles, axle units, front steering axles, standard and limited slip differentials and hypoid gear sets ranging in size from electric railway platform tow trucks to large farm machinery.
The company produced the rear transmission for the Jaguar E Type, my dream car, Mrs M favours the Ford Mustang.
All we need to satisfy our desires is a good lottery win. :-[
California Dreamin - Mamas & Papas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk
Peg
P.S. So, which would you choose?..........
Mustang, every time, just hope I've got a childless rich aging relative somewhere I don't know about.

Compressorman

« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2021, 08:51:20 PM »
Hi Peg Monkey I really enjoyed your thread on such a great Birmingham company. Your experiences were so very similar to mine although mine was with a large company in Redditch. During my Apprenticeship from 1969 - 1974 I was sent on visits to lots of large companies in Brum and they were great days. I spent 8 years with my employer and then ventured off on my own and for many years I had lots of companies in Brum on my customer list. Today I am past the normal retirement age but still running my small business but doing less hours than I used to.
Birmingham was a wonderful place to learn my trade and latter to run my business from and it trained and produced many fine engineers. It’s very different today but that’s modern life.  Compressorman.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy