Author Topic: Salisbury Transmission Ltd.  (Read 16718 times)

Gwladmab

Re: Salisbury Transmission Ltd.
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2021, 09:01:13 PM »
Compressorman, did you by any chance work at Hydrovane in Reditch?

Gwlamab

Compressorman

« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2021, 09:17:17 PM »
Hi Gwlamab - I think my name gives it away  :)   Such a big company in its day - now it’s part of a massive group and only a bit player - gone the way of many great companies.

Gwladmab

« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2021, 07:03:05 AM »
Compressorman, it was also Redditch that gave me the other clue. It was only by chance that I knew of Hydrvane.

In the 70’s I worked for an industrial pipework firm. Based in Brum but we travelled all over. One weekend in the hot summer of 76 we had a job at Hydrovane in Redditch. I recall it was new premises on an industrial estate. We were putting a run of pipes in an open duct across a yard. The only time we could do this was at the weekend.

A bonus of working down there was that another one of the contractors wanted his Sunday pint, he knew the runs and we ended up at the Washford Mill. I’d never been there before. He drank 4 pints of Guinness and went back to work.

I regularly went to the Washford after that, a nice place to take a young lady for an evening out and only about 30 minutes from where I lived in Kings Norton.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2021, 07:06:55 AM »
Hi Peg Monkey I really enjoyed your thread on such a great Birmingham company. .....
Hi, welcome to The Forum, it was good to read your post, in case you are unaware Avatar enabling is available after 25 posts via Profile then Forum Profile at top of page. Ideally your image should be square and file size 80kb max.
Members find uploading using an Ipad problematic, with a laptop it's easy.
Regards,
Peg
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Gwladmab

« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2021, 08:25:33 AM »
Peg, I owe you an apology. Seeing your helpful post re Avatar just now. I realised I’d forgotten to respond to you regarding the post you put out to me a few days ago re using a friends laptop to sort out my Avatar as folks do get some problems when using iPad.

I live a fairly solitary life and have only a few friends through choice. It’s hard to believe but I don’t know anyone with a laptop or a PC that I could use.

I’d like to thank you for your efforts in trying to get me setup with an Avatar. However, I’ve decided to stick with just my Gwladmab.

Than you for your efforts and support, it is appreciated.

Gwladmab

Compressorman

« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2021, 09:50:39 AM »
 Hi Gwladmab
The days of big companies like Salisbury Transmission and where I worked are long gone - no one trains anyone anymore as it costs too much and skills are a thing of the past.
I have spent a lot of time in the Washford Mill in days gone past.

The likes of you and I together with Peg Monkey plus hundreds of others can now only look back at the good old days.
I am still working and dont see many truely skilled engineers these days.
Best wishes
Compressorman

Peg Monkey

« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2021, 10:19:17 AM »
I find it difficult to get my head around the fact I've been retired for 7 years, 2 years longer than my STL apprenticeship :-[
Peg

Gwladmab

« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2021, 01:28:47 PM »
I’ve been retired 5 years this month apart from the occasional Locum work that I take. Though, I’ve not done any for about 9 months and you know, it’s quite nice not having to travel down the Southeast.

I can just focus on helping my son on the farm. And felting my old Land Rovers. In fact, I was under my Defender 110 Hi Capacity only yesterday I’m about to renew the rear cross member. That famous Salisbury axle was bearing down on me. I’m going to rebuild the transfer box too. Hoping I can get it out without removing the main gearbox.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2021, 01:40:00 PM »
I’ve been retired 5 years this month apart from the occasional Locum work that I take. Though, I’ve not done any for about 9 months and you know, it’s quite nice not having to travel down the Southeast.
I can just focus on helping my son on the farm. And felting my old Land Rovers. In fact, I was under my Defender 110 Hi Capacity only yesterday I’m about to renew the rear cross member. That famous Salisbury axle was bearing down on me. I’m going to rebuild the transfer box too. Hoping I can get it out without removing the main gearbox.
One good thing about retirement - you've got the time.
Peg.
P.S. I'm claiming I should remain on light duties - trouble is I can't remember why, Mrs M is bound to take me to task shortly.
P.P.S They say The memory is the first thing to go, can't remember wot The first thing is.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2022, 11:01:47 AM »
Can anyone give an update how much of the Witton Factory complex is still occupied?

Gwladmab

« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2022, 01:45:26 PM »
Do you know Peg, I haven’t a clue. The last time I was in or past through that area must be 45 years ago when doing some industrial pipe work at the Cartridge factory.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy