Author Topic: Holidays and Leisure  (Read 8987 times)

Scipio

Re: Holidays and Leisure
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2021, 11:14:07 AM »
Some members might observe I am very critical of Brean (Birmingham on Sea?) but in truth I have many fond memories of family caravan holidays there in the 50s and early 60s, always the last week in July and the first week in August, my dad's logic being you stand a chance of only 1 week being wet (which was usually the case) Ah! Happy memories of reading an adult book (which my folks were unaware of) whilst listening to the rain as it descended like shrapnel on the caravan roof and when the rain did stop needing goggles to walk along the beach as the wind whipped the sand up to blizzard velocity.
Happy Days!
Peg
Fact: Brean Down and Brean Sands are two discrete areas, Brean Down refers to the finger of land (peninsular) that juts out westward into The Bristol Channel, about a mile or so (from the top of which you can see Weston Super Mare in the distance, to the North-east) with a fort at the end which has served in many wars and is slowly falling apart.
Brean Sands is to the south and of fairly flat terrain with miles of beach, washed occasionally by the incoming tide, I believe The Bristol Chanel has the second highest tide in the world.

We had two fantastic weeks at Brean Sands in 1977 , totally chilled out on my return to work .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »
Sorry folks, must have had a senior moment when I created this Topic - should have put on The Lounge on the Main Boards. :-[
Peg
Better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity

Peg Monkey

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2021, 01:21:40 PM »
When I see this pic ( http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15385.msg707393#msg707393 ) I can't help thinking of the old music hall joke: bloke was on a bridge at Stratford on Avon watching a guy rowing a boat towards him, accompanied by 2 ladies, bloke on the bridge shouts, Hey mate, lend us one of your oars, the reply: DO YOU MIND! One is my wife and the other her sister!
Old uns are the best, right?
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »
totally chilled out on my return to work .
Experienced that many times, Sci, it'll be the wind that roars up the Bristol Chanel with the tide.
Peg

Trixsie

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2021, 04:34:48 AM »
Experienced that many times, Sci, it'll be the wind that roars up the Bristol Chanel with the tide.
Peg
My parents owned a caravan on a site at Brean Sands in the in the 70s, I can remember some really hot summers.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2021, 08:48:21 AM »
Hurst Castle - worth a visit if you find yourself in South-West Hampshire. The castle originally built by Henry VIII and extended over the years is at the end of a shingle spit that projects into The Solent near the western tip of The Isle of Wight. Before embarking check access on the castle website, recently there was a major structural collapse due to sea erosion of the foundations.
The photo was taken from the castle's battlements looking northward, to the lower right is Hurst Lighthouse. 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2021, 10:55:48 AM »
Model Railways - I was very keen until I discovered girls, about 38 (only joking!). I had an impressive N gauge (2mm=1ft) layout measuring 3ft x 8ft, trouble was you need a fair size spare room to accommodate that size layout which we didn't have when we down-sized, unfortunately the layout, which had been boxed-up and stored in the garage for sometime, had to go.

Scipio

« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2021, 06:51:42 PM »
Model Railways - I was very keen until I discovered girls, about 38 (only joking!). I had an impressive N gauge (2mm=1ft) layout measuring 3ft x 8ft, trouble was you need a fair size spare room to accommodate that size layout which we didn't have when we down-sized, unfortunately the layout, which had been boxed-up and stored in the garage for sometime, had to go.

It's all change now though everyone is going DCC
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2021, 07:31:59 PM »
It's all change now though everyone is going DCC
Yep! Chips with everything!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy