Author Topic: Steam Engines  (Read 6284 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Steam Engines
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 09:51:11 AM »
Robert .Whenou talk about the Semi's  at Tamworth,they were a Magnificent Machine thundering up the main lines.But to see a Streak come down the hill through Grantham Station with the Chimes blowing at 70-80 Mph was another thing.Used to do the trip to Grantham about every 2-3 weeks in the early 50s aged 14 from Lea Village.Wasntit different in them days ,parents never worried so much.Wouldnt let my children do it now .
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

JudithM

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 01:30:04 PM »
when the wind is blowing in the right direction   I  hear the steam train most day on there way to  bridge north  the sound travels across the fields
It is a great sound  :)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

mw0njm

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 05:33:14 PM »
  Does anyone remember saltley steam shed. I have never experienced anything like it. From summer evenings on grassy banks, to winter evenings trying not to get runover by 50ton steam engines. The sites and smells, of the gasworks, the winter fogs, coal burning. engines screeching over railway lines. Travelling on the Bombay special also known as inner circle bus no 8, leaving behind Ansells Brewery, combined  the unique aroma of H.P. sauce factory,up the old misty road of rocky lane down to saltley. Passing tubes, at Aston cross, you may not of seen a soul, until arriving to saltley station, which I thought saltley  gate in those days.
 Oh such memories.
i was always down grassy banks. spotting. some times we would have a look in the parked up coaches. but soon was evicted by the security,that seemed to appear from now were. once we managed to get a look at them building the pullman,in mcw. it was always hot weather then. a penny bottle of red pop from a shop in trevor st .and a bag o mixed sweets from a shop next to the tar works.and we was happy. most of the engine drivers knew us. :)

mw0njm

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 05:37:43 PM »
Robert .Whenou talk about the Semi's  at Tamworth,they were a Magnificent Machine thundering up the main lines.But to see a Streak come down the hill through Grantham Station with the Chimes blowing at 70-80 Mph was another thing.Used to do the trip to Grantham about every 2-3 weeks in the early 50s aged 14 from Lea Village.Wasntit different in them days ,parents never worried so much.Wouldnt let my children do it now .
once when spotting at tamworth, i had a look in a box on the station, the door fell off and broke my foot. i had to go to hospital in sutton and go home by ambo. that what becomes of being nosy. :-[

JudithM

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 01:02:19 PM »
Did anyone see these beautiful pictures that were on the BBC news site the other day?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-51387764
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

mike mancott

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 04:30:55 PM »
Did anyone see these beautiful pictures that were on the BBC news site the other day?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-51387764

Thanks for that; it`s so good that so many people had the foresight to take such pictures, especially when it became know that steam was going to be phased out.
Good too that one or two people managed to get sections of closed lines preserved and to start buying scrapped steam engines for preservation purposes.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 05:01:38 PM »
Mike,Still  got loads of photos taken from my trainspotting days from the 50s all over England Scotland & Wales with a Brownie 127.And later with a much better camera,which I've still got and use.Put a couple on another forumtakenin a Glasgow shed in 57.

mw0njm

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 07:42:19 PM »
Mike,Still  got loads of photos taken from my trainspotting days from the 50s all over England Scotland & Wales with a Brownie 127.And later with a much better camera,which I've still got and use.Put a couple on another forumtakenin a Glasgow shed in 57.
ed post em please

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 07:50:32 PM »
mw0njm posted a couple on BHF last year not to good at it.Had to get the grandson to help O0 O0

wally

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 10:46:39 PM »
Used to spend many evenings in late 50's and early 60's on Tyseley Bridge train spotting with my mates Graham and Roger. Would not leave until the six o'clock King had passed under the bridge and we got a face full of smoke! We loved watching the pannier shunting in the goods yard, but never had ambitions to become train drivers. Still a sad person as I still write the numbers down when visiting preserved railways and enter them in my 1960 combined ref, which is now getting tatty!

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 11:27:31 PM »
Wally don't we all remember what we did as kids. Spent many happy hours on the bridge.Happened to look at some photos I'd taken the other day

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy