Author Topic: Does anyone know where this might be?  (Read 2161 times)

Maris

Does anyone know where this might be?
« on: February 21, 2021, 09:57:15 PM »
Someone I haven't seen for a long time today sent me this photo of our mothers. I was wondering if anyone might know where it might be? To be honest I'm not sure it is even in Birmingham but as they are both Brummie girls it is likely to be. Cheers.

SENSIBLE

Re: Does anyone know where this might be?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 12:13:14 PM »
Hi Maris.

Just a guess. But that looks like St Philips Cathedral in the background and if it is and judging by where the tower is I would say that they were sitting near the churchyard wall in Colmore Row. The iron railings were taken down in WW2 for the war effort so perhaps some trellis work was used as  temporary fencing? The bench looks similar to the ones in the churchyard at that time but not sure about the table. Perhaps they were waiting for one of the trams that ran along here up to the early 50's. (Don't know how old the photo is) or maybe killing time before catching a train from Snowhill Station which was located across the road. As I say I am only guessing.  O0
Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile

mike mancott

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 01:11:19 PM »
Member Mogmeister posts, September 15 2011, that Lewis`s had roof gardens. I wondered if Lewis`s served refreshments from there in the summer. The top part of St Philips (which I agree with SENSIBLE), looks level with the position from where the pic was taken.
Unless there were taller buildings between Lewis`s roof view and St Philips, this might (?) be the answer.#
Mike

mike mancott

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »
On second thoughts, the view of the cathedral -- the angle isn`t right for a view from Lewis`s.
I wonder if any of the offices in Temple Row had flat roofs?
The girls look to be dressed in late 50`s/early 60`s style. If a working day, if working in an office, a break on the office roof?
MM

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 02:32:03 PM »
could be the roof of the grand hotel

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

mike mancott

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 07:52:45 PM »
It`s difficult to see in the photo whether the clock and "tower" are on the left or the righthand end of the cathedral.
If on the left, photo is taken from temple Row side; if on the right, then from Colmore Row side.
Did the Grand hotel have a flat roof and access for guests/employees?
Looking on satellite view it doesn`t seem to have one. But could it have had one all those years ago?
Same goes for buildings alongside Temple Row. But buildings may well have been altered since then.
MM

mike mancott

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 08:00:52 PM »
If..... it`s Birmingham. The Dome of St Paul`s in London looks similar.
Herrings, red ones.
MM

SENSIBLE

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »
If..... it`s Birmingham. The Dome of St Paul`s in London looks similar.
Herrings, red ones.
MM

Different design to St Pauls - most  definitely St Philips Cathedral in Birmingham. It does appear as if these two ladies are sitting higher up than I first thought so it could quite possibly be in the Grand Hotel.

mike mancott

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »
Yes, I agree, I think St Philips is much more likely. I had a thought.
If the clock face is facing them, then they would have to be sitting nearer to the corner of Temple Row and Colmore Row?
Something else. Do you think that looking beyond the elbow of the girl on the left of the photo, you can see the figure of a person?
MM

SENSIBLE

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 08:27:34 PM »
Yes, I agree, I think St Philips is much more likely. I had a thought.
If the clock face is facing them, then they would have to be sitting nearer to the corner of Temple Row and Colmore Row?
Something else. Do you think that looking beyond the elbow of the girl on the left of the photo, you can see the figure of a person?
MM

Yes Mike. There is a person there. Well spotted. They appear to be looking over a wall or balcony probably from the top/ near top of the Grand Hotel? I think the ladies might be sitting inside with their backs to the window.

Grand Hotel Colmore Road - Grand Hotel, Birmingham - Wikipedia

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 05:39:43 PM »
bring this topic back to life    i took this photo about two years   it to me over an hour just to get to the top i just did not hve the go in me but i got there its brean down lookin at weston bay

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy